Font Colorization

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
JustAsIAm

Font Colorization

Post by JustAsIAm »

I am creating a font for American Sign Language. There are several already available, but I want to commercialize a project, therefore it has to be my own font creation.

Anyway, I have all the ASL letters drawn, but I want the images for each letter to be colorized (see the attached image).

Is there any way to do this in Font Creator?
If not, is there any way to do it at all?
Attachments
Sample of the letter "A" in ASL
Sample of the letter "A" in ASL
sign-a.gif (3.95 KiB) Viewed 7966 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Font Colorization

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You can have any colour you want in fonts, as long as its black. You cannot even have white in a font — what looks like white is transparent.

After creating the font in FontCreator, you will need to export each symbol from another program like InkScape or DrawPlus, to get it into a vector format like SVG (suitable for the web), WMF, or EPS (for use in graphics or DTP applications).
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
JustAsIAm

Post by JustAsIAm »

OK, those are the rules for ttf fonts. Is there another type of font that I can create that allows what I am looking for?
JustAsIAm

Post by JustAsIAm »

I thought I already replied to this.

Is there another font type I can create that will work with Adobe Photoshop and still do what I want?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You did already reply to it, but posts of new users have to be approved before they appear.

As far as I know there is no font type that includes colour information. Most applications have the ability to add colour for lines and fills, including gradient and bitmap fills.

My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
JustAsIAm

Post by JustAsIAm »

OK, if TTF fonts cannot do what I want, what about OTF fonts.

Can they be colorized?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

What bit didn't you understand about my previous reply?
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:As far as I know there is no font type that includes colour information.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

As far as I know there is no available font type that includes colourization, yet my idea for the eutofont font format specification does include chromatic capability, though, as far as I know at the time of writing this post, a rendering system to produce a display from a font made using eutofont font format has not been implemented.

Just in case any reader reading this thread is interested in reading about the eutofont font format, there is a thread in this forum about it, with some links.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=696

In relation to wanting to produce results now with what is available now, one possibility is to consider making several fonts, one for each colour, and then using them in layers using a desktop publishing program.

The following thread from 2005 might be of interest.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=859

It is about my Galileo Lettering font.

I gradually developed a collection of fonts. Eventually there was a set of five fonts available, so that I could produce effects such as the following.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/mosaic3.PDF

Please note that no colour information travels with the font. Each of the fonts is black and white. The colours choices were made within the desktop publishing program, one colour for each layer.

The fonts are all available for free download from the web.

Producing a document with letters that display as if they were colourized letters will, as far as I know, involve making a collection of fonts and using them with layers.

I hope that this helps.

William Overington

18 October 2010