How to remove all OpenType tables from a font?

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
jamadagni

How to remove all OpenType tables from a font?

Post by jamadagni »

Unfortunately I've never been a fan of OpenType, having been frustrated with its inability in handling rare-use scripts and even in existing scripts the rare Sanskrit sequences I often need to use. I am thinking of rewriting many of my local fonts with Graphite. Can anyone tell me what to do to remove all OpenType tables from a font?
Shriramana Sharma
Erwin Denissen

Re: How to remove all OpenType tables from a font?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Select the Tables command from the Format menu, and go to the Unsupported page. Then delete these tables if present: BASE, DSIG, GDEF, GPOS, GSUB, and JSTF.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
jamadagni

Post by jamadagni »

Erwin Denissen wrote:Select the Tables command from the Format menu, and go to the Unsupported page. Then delete these tables if present: BASE, DSIG, GDEF, GPOS, GSUB, and JSTF.
Thanks. It is strange though that this is exactly what I did (well I just deleted all "Unsupported" tables) and it didn't work the first time around. That is, I had some rendering behaviour not congruent with my Graphite programming, but now it's OK.

Frankly while I know people are asking for FC to support OT programming, IMHO smart font programming should be ideally done outside of a graphical editor. For Graphite of course the GDL file is always separate, and even for OT (for those that need it) there is this nice OT compiler.

Thanks anyhow!
Shriramana Sharma
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

jamadagni wrote:
Erwin Denissen wrote:Select the Tables command from the Format menu, and go to the Unsupported page. Then delete these tables if present: BASE, DSIG, GDEF, GPOS, GSUB, and JSTF.
Frankly while I know people are asking for FC to support OT programming, IMHO smart font programming should be ideally done outside of a graphical editor. For Graphite of course the GDL file is always separate, and even for OT (for those that need it) there is this nice OT compiler.

Thanks anyhow!
Quite honestly, I would kill for a graphical Graphite editor for mark positioning right about now. For the past couple days, I've been manually adjusting a couple thousand cursive connections in order to rollout a BETA test for a new script in preparation for the script's encoding in Unicode 6.3/7.0. It's a real pain in the derriere going through, glyph by glyph, finding your attachment point, then having to enter it by hand in a separate text file. I'm fortunate that at least I already have the proper set of attachment points identified for each glyph, so I'm just having to fix their location.