InDesign not picking up space characters

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
johancb

InDesign not picking up space characters

Post by johancb »

Hi forum,

I'm doing some repair and polish work on this free amateur font for a friend's publishing house. Since I mainly do handwriting fonts from scratch, I have little experience in TrueType bug hunting. Bhikkhu already helped me out with a problem with kerning tables, and I've also added naming, ligatures and a few missing glyphs.

Here's the thing though: although the font works fine in Photoshop and Illustrator, InDesign shows space characters as pink squares.

The pink squares can be turned off via Options>Composition>Substitute Font, and InDesign sets the right amount of whitespace and exports PDF:s just fine either way. But they indicates some sort of problem with the font, and this bugs me.

The bearings and mapping for the space character look fine to me, and I've found no kerning pair or metric that might mess things up. Any idea what may be off?
Attachments
Gorey.ttf
Latest in-progress version of the font
(29.82 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: InDesign not picking up space characters

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Your font is still missing the recommended glyphs that I linked to in the other thread.

Start a new blank font, copy the first three glyphs, add three glyphs to your font, and use Paste Special to copy the glyphs with their mappings to your font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486