Puzzling display of pdf files and some font display problems

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Puzzling display of pdf files and some font display problems

Post by William »

I usually use the Firefox browser. I am using a PC running Windows xp.

Recently I have found that when I access a pdf for online viewing on the web, instead of Adobe Reader being used in the style in which it has been used for years, the display is something different. Whether this is Adobe Reader in some other display mode or another program I do not know.

This has proved inconvenient as I cannot locate a Find facility for searching in the pdf.

For example, this morning, I had reached the following web page.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/

I then clicked on Miscellaneous Symbols.

The display showed a bar moving from left to right as the page loaded, then I got a display.

There does not appear to be a Help on the menu bar so that I could look for an About... choice in order to find out what is the program.

Later this morning I was checking something in one of my old artworks, from 2004.

I was at the following web page.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/u ... dfonts.htm

I clicked on the link to moon.PDF, which is about three-quarters of the way down the page.

The graphic was displayed yet the text was not displayed.

I downloaded the file to local storage and then double clicked on the file and it opened in Adobe Reader as I know it and the lettering was displayed.

I found that, online, the lettering in stepping.PDF was not displayed.

Please note that gasgiant.PDF is not supposed to have any lettering.

Some of the fonts are my early fonts, some made with Softy, and some fonts are those that were supplied with the Serif PagePlus program that I used to make the pdfs.

So I decided to try with a later font made using FontCreator.

I moved to the following post in these forums.

viewtopic.php?p=13799#p13799

I clicked on the oven_chips_pasta_and_rice.pdf link.

I was offered the option to open or save and upon choosing open I was offered Adobe Reader to open online. I accepted. The display was good.

From the following web page.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/library.htm

I clicked on cooking.PDF, which is about four-fifths of the way down the page. No text is displayed.

Clicking on managingreusablebags.PDF is interesting as some fonts are displayed and one is not, though it is not always the same display as sometimes nothing after the non-displayed font is displayed.

I appreciate that some of the fonts affected are my early fonts, yet the display was, and still is, fine in Adobe Reader.

Anyway, I am puzzled by this.

Can anyone help please?

William Overington

16 March 2013
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Puzzling display of pdf files and some font display prob

Post by Dick Pape »

Hello William.

When I clicked on 3 of your your links: U2600, moon, and gasgiant, I got a request to download the file. Once on my system the file can be opened as pdf in Adobe Reader, as a matter of fact.

I use a download manager so it seems to be working properly. Wonder if you have acquired a new download manager which intercepts these requests. There are a lot of sites which seem to want to help you with downloads and like nothing better than to push their product your way. (I also use Firefox browser. and run Windows XP).

Sorry I cannot help otherwise.

Dick
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Firefox now has its own pdf viewer. Google firefox pdf and you can read all about it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Thank you both for your replies.

It appears that I have been observing the Firefox pdf viewer in action.

Seaching on Google for Firefox pdf provided information on what is happening.

Amongst the various items available, I found the following.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-575 ... n-firefox/

Thank you.

William Overington

18 March 2013