italic ligatures selected as default italics

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
avuncularmontague

italic ligatures selected as default italics

Post by avuncularmontague »

Hi. I'm using Pages on Mac OS X 10.7. The font I am using in my document (Renard No. 3) includes 6 variants: Roman, RomanLig, RomanPi, Italic, ItalicLig and ItalicPi. I can specify any of these fonts in the font chooser and use them just fine. But while I am composing using the Roman font and I use the shortcut key (command-I) to turn something into italics, or hit the italics button, instead of using the "Italic" version it uses the "ItalicLig" version by default, which obviously is no good. I've fixed it for now by disabling ItalicLig and ItalicPi through FontBook. But I would like to use the ligatures in this beautiful font, too! How can I leave the variants all active but force it to pick "Italic" as the correct font for italics? Is it as simple as renaming a file? The .otf files are named RenardNo3-ItalicLig.otf and RenardNo3-Italic.otf. Thanks!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: italic ligatures selected as default italics

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It requires editing the font, which probably violates the license agreement.

I suggest contacting whoever sold it to you to report the problem. Its a very expensive font family, and they should provide personal customer support for that price.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
avuncularmontague

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:It requires editing the font, which probably violates the license agreement.

I suggest contacting whoever sold it to you to report the problem. Its a very expensive font family, and they should provide personal customer support for that price.
Wow, it really is expensive, I just looked. I feel a bit embarrassed now - a friend who's a designer let me pick a handful of fonts from his megalist to mess around with on my own computer. I had no idea. Well, it's not going beyond my machine in any case.

As it happens, the day before yesterday I ordered the book "Counterpunch" which is by this type's designer Fred Smeijers, along with a couple of others to educate myself.

Thanks for your response.

(I feel kind of pleased with myself now that the font I picked out by eye among several hundred--without knowing anything about it--was considered so first-rate.)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I cannot see any reason for paying more than $25-50 for a font family these days. There are plenty of free fonts with Open license agreements, and not all are rubbish. The SIL fonts, for example, are good quality, and BitStream have release a few like SourceSansPro and Vera. Then there are Linux fonts.

I know that my own free fonts are not quite of Professional quality yet, but since I have FontCreator, I can fix them whenever I spot bugs, and add whatever glyphs I think might be useful. I have never had the chance to see if they work on MacOS.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
avuncularmontague

Pali looks very convincing to me!

I tried to download the .7z archive to see if it worked on OS X but the download wouldn't start.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

avuncularmontague wrote:Pali looks very convincing to me!

I tried to download the .7z archive to see if it worked on OS X but the download wouldn't start.
The download link is definitely working, but here is one to a Zip Archive of the same font. It is more than twice the size of the 7z archive, which is why I use 7-Zip.

You can download a 7-zip version for OSX on the 7-Zip Home Page.