Windows Font Name

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
tom.snyder

Windows Font Name

Post by tom.snyder »

I have created a TTF and given it a family name. It is displaying properly in my Windows font directory from Windows. When I try to use it through Word or Publisher the drop down box only displays TF in the appropriate place on the list but does not display a font name. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing a step?
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Windows Font Name

Post by William »

Welcome to the forum.

I do not have a modern version of Word or Publisher, so I cannot check whether this is the solution to the problem.

However I do have Serif PagePlus and a problem that is similar to what you describe can occur with that program, so perhaps the following is worth checking out.

With an ordinary Unicode font, Serif PagePlus displays the font name using characters from the font. This then gives an indication of the nature of the font.

However, if all of the letters of the name of the font have not been implemented in the font, the letters cannot be displayed, so blanks occur.

For example, if someone produces a font with a family name in lowercase but only includes capitals in the font.

This may or may not be the solution to the problem presented in your post, but is worth checking.

A good test is to try to select the font in WordPad, as WordPad, at least in the version that I have, displays the font name using a system font.

William Overington

25 July 2013
tom.snyder

Re: Windows Font Name

Post by tom.snyder »

The problem was solved when I converted the font to a Symbol (Tools, Convert Font) and I listed font name in the Options window under Copyright, Trademark, Font Designer, and License Agreement. Then exported as True Type/Open Type Font.