X11 Core Font like DOS Codepage 437

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
macropanther

X11 Core Font like DOS Codepage 437

Post by macropanther »

I use an aging editor (x2 programmer's editor, http://www.tangbu.com) on Linux, Ubuntu 12.04/64, that only supports X11 Core fonts. The deefault "fixed" font is great except it is only about a sixteenth of an inch tall when displayed on-screen. Since I am visually challenged, tha's almost unreadablly too small.

I selected "-*-*-*-*-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" as a replacement and it is at least tall enough to be readable, something like 3/16 inches.

Could someone help me select, download/install if necessary, a good console font? In my wildest dream it would be similar to the codepage 437 font used by DOS and in the Windows command prompt. Better still, it would provide the character map of codepage 437 including the odd box drawing characters. Assuming that the "20" in "-*-*-*-*-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" means font-size, obviously a larger font is in order. Not a lot larger, but a little. Perhaps if any suggest font(s) came in a few sizes and I could pick the best balance between large enough to read and small enough to get, say, an 80x25 screen up on my monitor??

Warmly,

Wes