Baron font only in italic, not regular

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
LonelyPixel

Re: Baron font only in italic, not regular

Post by LonelyPixel »

Whatever you have done, it didn't work out too well. Now I only have "Baron Neue" and no Black anymore. Also, there's just a single bolder weight which can be regular or italic. Funny that Windows control panel now displays cyrillic glyphs as preview but that doesn't have to say much. Some normal fonts only have math symbols there.

So what did you change the last time? I'd like to know what I need to watch out for.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Ok. I give up trying to get word to handle more than 4 styles in a family. Unless I can find a larger family that word recognizes and can apply properly, I would recommend making the black styles into its own family.
LonelyPixel

Post by LonelyPixel »

Yes, that's what Word and most other simple (non-typographic) Windows programs require. It works well in all other fonts. But not in this one.

I might as well give up, too, and just accept that the font takes six independent font entries and style selection is not possible at all (not even the four basic styles) through the common controls. Nice looking font, stupidly engineered, impossible to fix.

If I knew enough about font metrics and other metadata, it might be possible to use all glyph outlines only and put them in a completely new font file. But that's probably not worth the effort.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Here's a screen shot of my font Kabala, with a family of eight styles, displayed in LibreOffice. That doesn't yet support OpenType features, but it looks like a better choice than Word. If you get Serif PagePlus X8 then you can stop messing about with Word.
Font Family in LibreOffice.png
Font Family in LibreOffice.png (62 KiB) Viewed 10150 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
LonelyPixel

Post by LonelyPixel »

This may be true but I'm not selecting office applications just by that.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

The 4 basic styles work as a family in word. It then requires a second family for the two black varieties.

What font with more than the 4 basic styles does work properly in word?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

LonelyPixel wrote:This may be true but I'm not selecting office applications just by that.
The best thing is to choose tools to suit the task. If sophisticated type-setting is an important requirement, InDesign, Quark, PageMaker, or PagePlus may be a better choice than Word.

If open sharing of work is most important, LibreOffice might be best.

This discussion has shown up the defects in Word for type-setting. You can do it, but with the limitations pointed out by Mike.

You could have a family of twelve type styles: with three font families Light, Medium, and Black, each with Regular, Italic, Bold, and Bold Italic styles. That would make it a little easier to use.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
LonelyPixel

Post by LonelyPixel »

I found that Word handles a lot more fonts plain wrong. Reverting to Illustrator for design tasks involving type.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Yes, good choice--any vector design application or layout tool (but not MS Publisher) is a far better choice.