Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 issues

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
Liggliluff

Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 issues

Post by Liggliluff »

People seem to know Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (MKLC) software well here, and I was hoping that someone could help me out with something I just can't seem to wrap my head around.

I made my own combined Swedish–Hungarian keyboard layout. [ View raw .klc content here ]

For some reason, the deadkeys 2013, 215f, and 1d43 (found on VK_6 7, VK_Z 6, and VK_Z 7) refuses to work, and disappears when I'm compiling an executable.

When looking at the list of installed layouts in KbdEdit Demo, it states that my layout is "KBDTABLES structure is corrupted or inconsistent". Both MKLC and KbdEdit can load the file and display it correctly. MKLC failes to build it correctly, and I don't know how KbdEdit handles it, as 40 € is a very hefty price tag for a minor bug.

If you'd like to experiment, do store the raw text above as a .klc file (save with Unicode coding) and load it in MKLC.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 issues

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The problems that you see may be hardware related.

I have no problem using dead keys on my customised PagePlus Keyboard to type many accented characters. Shift 6 ^ is a dead key for circumflex, âêîôû, Ctrl + Alt + 6 is a dead key for caron: ď ľ ň etc.

Try my PagePlus keyboard with your hardware, and see if it works. If it doesn't, then it is probably a hardware issue.

Full List of Shortcuts
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Liggliluff

Post by Liggliluff »

No no no no... you see, when I bring up the on-screen keyboard, the characters are missing completely. Empty spaces at the mentioned locations. All other deadkeys are showing up as expected.

When I use the preview feature in both MKLC and KbdEdit Demo, the keys works as expected.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have used the MSKLC to create my keyboards many years ago. I could very easily lose interest in your problems. Did you try with my keyboard?

The dead keys are marked in grey:
Dead Keys.png
Dead Keys.png (26.98 KiB) Viewed 10214 times
Right-clicking on the dead key shows the output.
Circumflex Accents.png
Circumflex Accents.png (12.71 KiB) Viewed 10214 times
I added a couple of definitions to the dead key for VK_6 (§)
Attachments
Swedish Hungarian.zip
(8.53 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Liggliluff

Post by Liggliluff »

I did not try your keyboard as this isn't a hardware issue.

I shifted the Alt Gr+Shift states one step to the left, and now the 5's Alt Gr+Shift state is left empty.

I also tried switching Z's both Alt Gr states with X, and X's Alt Gr states are now empty.

So there's some issue with the deadkeys 2013, 215f, and 1d43 that I can't see.