How to start a Typography Journey...

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
artist

How to start a Typography Journey...

Post by artist »

Hello :D,

I am the passionate artist who designs sketches in my free time and looking forward to enhancing typography skills not professionally but to get some basic knowledge that will help me in my web design profession and sketching.

What are the basic things that are required in the typography? what are the steps or tips for the beginners? Which software is best for a typeface?

Suggestions are welcome!!

Thank you!!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: How to start a Typography Journey...

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. Sufficient glyph coverage for the target use
  2. Open existing fonts that are similar to what you're aiming at to see how they are constructed
  3. Get the side-bearing right first before doing any kerning.
  4. Scanahand is one option for a beginner who does not want to learn about typography, but just wants to generate hand-writing fonts quickly.
  5. I am biased, and I have only ever used FontoGrapher before many years ago, FontCreator is one of the easiest tools for generating complex fonts
  6. Graphic designers may prefer to do the glyph design stage in Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape, then import the curves into FontCreator, but FontCreator 11.0 now has fairly decent tools for creating vectors directly. It's FreeDraw brush is just a basic paintbrush lacking the control of other programs, e.g. no touch-sensitive tablet support, not calligraphic lines. etc.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486