OpenType Feature & Lookup Test Font

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
Stephan B.

OpenType Feature & Lookup Test Font

Post by Stephan B. »

I am working on a text layout and rendering tool for a game engine. Currently, I am adding support for OpenType features and curious to know if anyone knows of a font file designed for testing each of the various lookup types and table formats?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: OpenType Feature & Lookup Test Font

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There are hundreds of OpenType features. Which do you need to use in your Application? You can test any font from FontCreator in a suitable browser using the Webfont test.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Stephan B.

Post by Stephan B. »

I am looking for a font file that would include 1 example of each subtable type and related formats. Ie. (1) SingleSubstitution format 1 and format 2, (1) MultipleSubstitution, etc. Font would also include use of coverage table format 1 and format 2.

Although I can find font files that contains examples / use of some of these, I still have to hunt / go through several fonts to find ones that use the specific subtable and format that I seek to implement / test.

I am curious if someone might have created such a font file just for testing their own tools for reading these different subtable types and formats.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We are not aware of such fonts, but finding correct fonts is the easy part.

Over the years we've found numerous fonts with unique issues due to unique implementations of the specs. There is no way to create all variations of such fonts, as some issues depend on the order of data, or is corrupt, etc. Several widely used fonts still contain serious flaws, but such issues are ignored and undocumented.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Stephan B.

Post by Stephan B. »

Thanks for the reply.

A few more questions if I may.

I have noticed that many fonts use a Coverage table format 2 where the startGlyphID and endGlyphID for the range is the same. Why use format 2 in this case? Is this some legacy issue?

When I create Ligatures using FontCreator and check the coverage table, I always seem to get format 1. How can I go about creating lookup that end up using Coverage format 2 or does FontCreator only use / create Coverage table of format 1?