Installed font files invisible in their Windows/Fonts subfolder

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
stormag

Installed font files invisible in their Windows/Fonts subfolder

Post by stormag »

When I had installed 3 files of my new font (light+regular+bold) to the Windows/Fonts folder, a subfolder with their family name showed up in the "Fonts" folder. All three font widths seem to work fine in my applications.

However, when I the enter the font's subfolder in Windows/Fonts, its empty... I'm quite sure that the font is named (I mean "Format/Naming...") correctly - any idea what else can be messed up?
stormag

Re: Installed font files invisible in their Windows/Fonts subfolder

Post by stormag »

Could the large number of kerning pairs be a problem? I got ~7000 in each file.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

stormag wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:51 am Could the large number of kerning pairs be a problem? I got ~7000 in each file.
No. Some of my fonts have over 70,000 kerning pairs. Check your font folder settings.
Font Folder Setting.png
Font Folder Setting.png (53.63 KiB) Viewed 16170 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
stormag

Post by stormag »

70 000??? That's impressive and intimidating, but, first of all, making me happily sure, that I couldn't "overdose with anything" here :D !

Yes, I checked all the view settings - the problem is, that the font is visible as "the stack" (just like Caladea or Calibri on your screenshot), but when I enter the subfolder (by clickinging the font stack icon) there's nothing here...
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Do send the font files to me and we’ll look into it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
stormag

Post by stormag »

After numerous attempts, I finally did manage to make the font visible in the system folder (by upgrading my antediluvian FontCreator to the newest version).

The only drawback is, that the font sample on the system icons consist of cyrillic glyphs (Абф) instead of latin - I hope that should be an easier thing to fix - does anyone know the solution?

Mr Denissen, thank you for the option of sending the files to you for an examination - I just don't know how to do it so the files would be sent only to you?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

stormag wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:21 amThe only drawback is, that the font sample on the system icons consist of cyrillic glyphs (Абф) instead of latin - I hope that should be an easier thing to fix - does anyone know the solution?
See my screen shot above. The glyphs shown on the icons in the Fonts folder is automatic depending on the glyphs available in the font. I don't know of any way to change it. Why does it matter?

You can Submit a Ticket and attach a file to send it to Erwin
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
stormag

Post by stormag »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:(...)The glyphs shown on the icons in the Fonts folder is automatic depending on the glyphs available in the font. (...) Why does it matter?
My font primarily contains considerable amount of diacritics for the latin alphabet - I think that showing "exotic" glyphs as a preview, may mislead some users, suggesting that the font was essentially designed for other languages, and the latin glyphs might be only complementary.

I guess there must be a way to control it, as fonts like Arial contain wide range of glyphs from many parts of the world, while still displaying the latin ones as the preview of the whole font.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I suspect your font has the Greek Unicode character range marked available.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
stormag

Post by stormag »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:57 am I suspect your font has the Greek Unicode character range marked available.
Only "Cyrillic and Cyrillic Supplementary" - I guess just like Arial and many other popular fonts, that manage to keep the latin characters as their preview. In the end, it doesn't seem to be a great problem, so I think I'm just going to leave it like that. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!