Weird ebook bug?

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
Post Reply
Psymon
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Weird ebook bug?

Post by Psymon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:29 pm

Well, this is odd. Last night I completed the Greek character set for my regular font, and out of laziness I just ran the "Italics" script via the Glyph Transformer (rather than going through that whole ordeal of creating a "real" italic Greek character set -- although I may eventually do that down the road, but this is good enough for now).

Looks just fine in FC, and also in Photoshop -- indeed, everything looks like it should -- but when I embed my fonts into an ebook strange things happen wherever the Greek is encountered in italics.

If there's no Greek within an italicized portion of text, then that italicized text gets smaller than it should be.

But if there is Greek within that italicized text, then it gets bigger!

Here's a screenshot, of how a portion of text from my ebook looks in Photoshop (as it should look), and as it's coming out in my ebook...

eBook Bug.jpg
eBook Bug.jpg (102.29 KiB) Viewed 563 times

Any thoughts/ideas? :shock:

Incidentally, I'm thinking that I should make my space bigger, methinks the words are a little too scrunched together -- whaddaya think? Probably, eh? Just a tad? Maybe about 1.5 times the size it is now? Maybe that's too much, but even just a little bit bigger I think would help with readability.

Psymon
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Weird ebook bug?

Post by Psymon » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:12 am

Don't know if this is of interest to anyone else, but re the size of my space character -- which wasn't my original post/query here, of course, but an afterthought that I added at the end -- I wasn't sure what to set the size of my space character to, if there was a "correct" way of doing that. I suppose it's really ultimately up to the designer, and basically eyeballing it, but I did come across this page on Microsoft's site that gives some helpful hint on exactly this question...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typogr ... whitespace

For what it's worth (if anybody cares), the width of my space before was set at 246 funits. I measured my "m" (the actual "m" glyph), and that came to about 1518 funits, and so divided by 4 that gave me 379.5. Rounded that up to 380 and tried that out, and that seems to be a good figure to go with -- interestingly, my initial thought of perhaps increasing the size by about 1.5 times would have given me a figure of 369, so as it turns out I wasn't too far off!

Just thought the above link, and the info/suggestions there (which are different for different types of fonts), might be helpful for others out there, too. :)

Post Reply