Convection: Legality of using this Microsoft policy in printing

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
Pyanepsion

Convection: Legality of using this Microsoft policy in printing

Post by Pyanepsion »

Hello,

Microsoft® Store offers for Windows 10 the free Convection font designed for XBox. I cannot determine whether we have the right to use it in a print publication.

Thank you for your explanations
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Convection: Legality of using this Microsoft policy in printing

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Have you checked the license terms in Font Properties, Legal?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Pyanepsion

Post by Pyanepsion »

Yes and no, hence the question.

I couldn’t find information in the jungle of Microsoft sites about Xbox specific fonts also available on Window (I found it in Microsoft® Store).
– In general, the fonts offered with Windows 10 can be used on our machines, and if we have a non-limited version (family, student, personal), we can publish books using them.
– The Convection font is intended for Xbox, and can be used on our computer at least for personal use. I couldn’t figure out if it could be published in a book.
ClintGoss

Post by ClintGoss »

I think Bhikkhu was referring to looking inside the font file itself. In Font Creator, you can open the font file and look in [Font => Properties] on the [Legal] tab. The Copyright and License Description fields can give you (possibly definitive) information. However, for many fonts out there, these fields are blank or otherwise not helpful ... in which case I'm pretty sure the default (in the U.S. at least) is that the contents would be copyrighted and "All Rights Reserved".

I hope this helps!