How to replace a glyph at the end of a line or paragraph not end of a sentence…

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
dhiman4us@gmail.com

How to replace a glyph at the end of a line or paragraph not end of a sentence…

Post by dhiman4us@gmail.com »

How to replace a glyph at the end of a line or paragraph not end of a sentence…anybody??
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: How to replace a glyph at the end of a line or paragraph not end of a sentence…

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This is not a bug report about FontCreator, I don't think it is even relevant to FontCreator, so I have moved it to the General Font Discussions Forum.
Word-processing software and desktop publishing applications often have an option to show special characters for new lines, tabs, and paragraph breaks. This screen shot is from PagePlus X9. The font used for these special characters is presumably a Windows system font as they do not change to match the font in use. Some fonts may not included the appropriate glyphs like ¶ or » at all.
Special Characters.png
Special Characters.png (8.67 KiB) Viewed 8339 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
dhiman4us@gmail.com

Re: How to replace a glyph at the end of a line or paragraph not end of a sentence…

Post by dhiman4us@gmail.com »

Okay I'll put details after sometimes.. Can anybody tell me whether PagePlus use HarfBuzz as text-shaping engine or not?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I split the Bug Report post and its reply to A New Thread.

I assume that FontCreator uses it's own code. LibreOffice uses HarfBuzz for its OpenType feature support, but that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
stormag

Post by stormag »

Bhikkhu Pesala, I think that dhiman4us asks about different thing – sort of contextual alternate, that is triggered for last letter in every line.

I think that his question is actually very interesting and I was pondering for a while how to help him, but the only solution I was able to imagine (with my limited knowledge!) was adding lookup of ChainingContext, and putting [glyphs that indicate going to new line] in the Lookahead column. However the [glyphs that indicate going to new line] don't seem to exist, as the word processors split the text automatically by themselves, without adding any "glyps" to the text itself.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bhikkhu is a title like Mr or Rev