Making font from picture

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
rado7rado

Making font from picture

Post by rado7rado »

Hi.Isit possible to make a font out of an image? I am attaching an image of this to make it easier to understand what I am asking.Thanks.
https://ibb.co/N6YKx48
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Making font from picture

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is very easy, as long as the image is of high resolution and good contrast.

Scanahand makes it as easy as possible, while FontCreator offers more power and automation. PDF, SVG, or EPS images are ideal if available.

The screenshot shows your images in the Preview Toolbar, after pasting the image into FontCreator and splitting the glyphs into A, H, S, s, and combining caron and circumflex accents. I had to edit the image in IrfanView first to increase the contrast, or I could have adjusted the threshold if importing the image from disk.
Font from Image.png
Font from Image.png (22.99 KiB) Viewed 10554 times

See the tutorials on Importing Images the Right Way - Size Does Matter and Scanning an Entire Alphabet (useful if creating a font from printed text).

Drag and Drop from Windows Explorer can be used to import multiple images at once. This is very fast if the images are vectors like PDF, SVG, or EPS.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
rado7rado

Post by rado7rado »

Thank you for help.I will try but problem is that I don’t have a second of experience with font making.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Typos
rado7rado

Post by rado7rado »

I tried to make a font from picture but it doesn't work because it's too complicated for a beginner who doesn't have a minute work with this program. I'll have to find some easier way to make a font from an image.
Thanks anyway for help.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Read the manual and practice.

It's really not that difficult.

Start with a simple font and work your way up from there.
rado7rado

Post by rado7rado »

Thanks. I don't see the point in learning something that I will never need again. And I only need these three uppercase letters.
Thanks for the tip anyway