Recommended Reference Book

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
CandyAppleTree

Recommended Reference Book

Post by CandyAppleTree »

Hi,

I'm a beginner. I've been looking for an hour or two for a particular type of reference book. I was hoping there was a reference book that simply had beautiful examples of fonts being used. I would like to skim through the book and if I see a font that is used in a way that I like, I would use it. Hopefully, this reference book would be categorized by usage. For example, say there would be a chapter on signs. I would peruse through the chapter, looking through beautiful pictures of signage. Next to the picture of signage I like, the book would list the font(s) and its format. I guess I'm looking for a book form of fontsinuse.com.

I'm actually looking for something more than fontsinuse.com. I think the examples they show are too few and the book doesn't really display the best use of a particular font.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Recommended Reference Book

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Moved from the Tutorials Forum.

See this old thread.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Recommended Reference Book

Post by PJMiller »

Some while ago a well meaning friend got me a book because he knew I was into fonts. 'Just my Type' by Simon Garfield isn't really about typeface design just examples of various typefaces and their usage. It sits on my bookshelf unread, once or twice I have taken a quick look through it but I doubt I will ever read it.