Uninstalling Fonts Failure

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
rdrines

Uninstalling Fonts Failure

Post by rdrines »

I need to remove some fonts from my installation. The process in the Help file appears to work, but once the computer is restarted, the fonts that were removed from the table of the installed fonts, the removed fonts return when Windows 10 PRO is running again.
High-Logic Pro Version
High-Logic Pro Version
High-Logic Font Pro_2021-08-31.png (5.53 KiB) Viewed 6432 times

When Windows' Font tool is used, fonts can be removed, but they reappear again on the next boot.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Uninstalling Fonts Failure

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Are they Windows System fonts?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
rdrines

Post by rdrines »

The protected windows fonts won't enable removal.

The fonts that I was trying to remove, and appearing active again, are Fonts that were purchased from:
https://www.softmaker.de/megafont

This morning, I used MainType to remove a few of the fonts that appeared at the top of MainType's Active Font table. The Fonts removed today were the Fonts that were removed before but reappeared again after being removed. In looking at Word's list of Fonts, the names of today's removed fonts were not available when Word was closed and then opened again.

Finding the fonts removed after a Word restart, I tried to run MainType again to see what fonts were listed in the table of Active Fonts. Unfortunately, MainType refused to run. It generates this message each time I tried to Restart it after a failure:
OOPS! - Startup Message
OOPS! - Startup Message
Transaction Rollback Failed 2021-09-02_11-56-19.png (6.71 KiB) Viewed 6396 times
Did I win the Font battle and lose the Font war?

Is MainType OOPS giving me a new chance I didn't know I would need?

In my MainType's Download File folder, I have a later version in a folder named "V13" with this text: "MainTypeSetup-x64 20200921.exe"
The date shown in the file name is the date I downloaded the file. I have "V10" installed, but I forgot the later file was available after saving it to the MainType storage area.

Whatever the issue, is there a path to success or recovery you can offer?

Thank you for responding - Be Well!
Roger...
Last edited by rdrines on Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Something caused the font service to crash. A reboot should solve the problem. Please be aware we fixed numerous issues with MainType 11, so we recommend to upgrade to the latest version.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
rdrines

Post by rdrines »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:51 pm Something caused the font service to crash. A reboot should solve the problem. Please be aware we fixed numerous issues with MainType 11, so we recommend to upgrade to the latest version.
Rebooting the computer resolved the "OOPS" problem.

I would like to update to the next version. For now, the last 18-months have been hard, and too many payments due seem unlikely.

I haven't found a way to keep a font out of the list of available fonts for Microsoft Office, and many other applications.

The current active Fonts are more than I need. When some apps startup, the number of fonts slows the app startup. The list in MS Word shows a group of fonts that have been "Uninstalled" many time times. The Fonts shown with the "Redish-Brown" dot, were a Font that was removed as a group. Most of the Font-Items in each group returned. Some groups recovered all the fonts in a group.

There is randomness happening with the "Uninstalled" process that can be seen in the next images:
MainType Font Table View_01
MainType Font Table View_01
Active Font View_01_2021-09-03_10-42-52.png (215.83 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
MainType Font Table View_02
MainType Font Table View_02
Active Font View_02_2021-09-03_10-59-06.png (196.08 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
MS Office Word Font List:
Word Font Available List
Word Font Available List
Word Font List View 2021-09-03_10-29-34.png (51.14 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

An App I often use for local groups as a free service is Scrivener. This app needs 14-minutes to load. As some of my paid work accumulated, more Fonts were added. During that time, it was easy to see the app loading time grow. Now with little work, I decided I needed to use this no work-time to reduce the number of Fonts. If the work doesn't return, the free work will be faster.

From what is loaded in this series of posts, is there something I can tell you that would help you understand what I need to do differently when I try to remove a Font group?