MainType 4.0 Release Candidate 1 is here

Read me first before posting anywhere! Note: Only moderators can post topics in this forum. Use the other forums below to post your message(s).
León Fridsma

MainType 4.0 Release Candidate 1 is here

Post by León Fridsma »

We have just released MainType 4.0 RC1.

MainType 4 is not MainType 3 with some new features, instead it is a complete rewrite of the software. All prior versions of MainType were file based font management solutions, while with MainType 4 we've taken it to a new level and designed the core of the software with a database driven approach.
It took us over 18 months to get to this point, and although we've had some great help from our beta testers, we might have missed something.
You can run it side-by-side with MainType 3, so if you are anxious about the benefits of MainType 4, then we suggest you give it a try.
If you run into any issues, please let us know through the forum.
Some things we believe you will love about MainType 4

No more elevation to start MainType
Increased performance
Starts immediately

MainType 4 currently does not support fonts located on a network drive. We strive to fix this with MainType 4.1 that is planned to be released in Q4 this year.
Download MainType 4 RC1 from our download page.
Important for current MainType 3 users: Your current license can't be used for MainType 4. You can upgrade for a small fee as soon as we've officially launched MainType 4 later this month.

If you buy MainType 3 now (or bought it earlier this month), you will get a license for MainType 4 as soon as it is officially released.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: MainType 4.0 Release Candidate 1 is here

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If I try to install MainType 4.0 Release Candidate, by default it will install in C:\Program Files\High-Logic\MainType\ which is where MainType 3.0 is already installed.

Presumably the thing to do is to create a new folder such as C:\Program Files\High-Logic\MainType 4\ and install it there?

Is that the recommended method to run it alongside MT3?
Edit:
My mistake — I apparently downloaded the installation file for MT3. By default MT4 will install in C:\Program Files\High-Logic\MainType4\ so there is no need to create a new folder before installing it.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Re: MainType 4.0 Release Candidate 1 is here

Post by Erwin Denissen »

That is correct. Thanks Bhikkhu Pesala for letting us know. We'll make notice of this on the download page.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology