Using an oversized scanner

Get help with Scanahand here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
audreyjeanne

Using an oversized scanner

Post by audreyjeanne »

I'm having trouble getting the program to be able to recognize the template and in the view window I'm seeing it placed as 1/2 of the page because I have an over sized scanner. Is there a way for me to simply scan the page and then load it in using the "load" button? Is there a way for me to trim the page to a standard size?

When I create the fonts the characters are all blank. HELP!
Thanks, Audrey

(UPDATE: I think I have figured it out for myself. I simply have scanned it through my normal means and then saved it as a bitmap. From there I imported it through the "load" feature. If there's anything else that would be helpful I'd love to know it!)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

On the Scan Setup dialogue, check the box that says, "Use the scanner driver to make advanced settings." Then, you should be able to define the area of the scan bed to be scanned — at least I can on my standard A4 scanner.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Audrey,

Bhikkhu Pesala's advise is probably the most convenient way to use Scanahand in combination with your scanner.

I'm curious about what sort of scanner you have, and what things might be useful to add/improve to Scanahand.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
audreyjeanne

Post by audreyjeanne »

I have an Epson 10000XL, with has a bed of around 12 x 18" or so. I am a professional artist and design product for the gift ware and home decor industries so I require a top notch quality scanner and it really is awesome. The next level up is around $10,000 - $15,000 which is a little rich for a small studio.

I started as a calligrapher and have used FontCreator to translate my own hands into fonts that I can use as can the manufacturers I work with. I bought Scanahand yesterday and played around with it most of the night.

I think I'll end up using it more to place the scanned letters into than for actually writing the hand in. It is so fast to import and then it's easy to move and adjust in FontCreator. Thanks for the tip. I do remember seeing that choice but had forgotten about it.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Ditto

Post by Dave Crosby »

It is so fast to import and then it's easy to move and adjust in FontCreator.
That is the way I most often use it too. What a neat tool!

BUT when I have a new idea, it is fun to jot it into a Scanahand Template and zip it into a new font and see in mere minutes how well the idea works!

Fabulous!
Aut nunc aut nunquam
audreyjeanne

Post by audreyjeanne »

I also design for the digital scrapbooking industry and the scanahand will be perfect to create those intentionally loose and journally hands that they love. I also see its potential as a revenue enhancer with offering it as a service for creating a handwritten font for the retail consumer. It's a great tool.

Audrey

PS Here's where you can see some of my work,
my digital scrapbooking store: http://www.daisiecompany.com/store/inde ... rers_id=32

My agent's website: http://gracelicensing.com/pages/ajbio.html
and my blog: http://www.daisiecompany.com/blogs/audreyjeanne/