Can I create ligatures in a custom template?

Get help with Scanahand here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Miriam Hewitt

Can I create ligatures in a custom template?

Post by Miriam Hewitt »

Hi.

I am a new user of FontCreator, and am looking at purchasing Scanahand as a means of speeding up the whole process of producing hand written fonts. I've been very impressed with the trial version so far, but I haven't been able to find any information on whether or not a custom template can be used for ligatures or stylistic alternatives. If this is not a direct capability, are there any possible workarounds?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Miriam
Erwin Denissen

Re: Can I create ligatures in a custom template?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You can use a regular template and then copy and paste the glyph outlines into your other font, or you can create a custom template with characters in the private use area ($E000-$F8FF). That way people can access those ligatures even when they use the font in a non-OpenType supported environment.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Miriam Hewitt

Post by Miriam Hewitt »

Thanks for that. When you say copy and paste glyph outlines, do you mean in FontCreator?

Regards,
Miriam
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Miriam Hewitt wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:15 am Thanks for that. When you say copy and paste glyph outlines, do you mean in FontCreator?
Yes. You can even decide to use Paste Special to further define what you want to copy.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology