Almost there...

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
mully

Almost there...

Post by mully »

okay once Scanahand gets improved metrics and the auto kern feature I think it's almost there.....

however one feature would be AWESOME.... maybe only in the super premium edition:

AUTO LIGATURES !!!!

the scanned template has is twice as long and has each character twice (or up to four times for the really cool stuff)
now scanahand uses this to create a font with auto ligatures where the letters change from version a to version b
so if you're word uses the letter "A" for the first time - version a - is chosen... if the letter "A" appears a second time - version b - is used

that would certainly make me upgrade
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Almost there...

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think your request is really over the top for Scanahand — even for the premium version. FontCreator Professional doesn't even have OpenType features support yet. Its not a trivial thing to add as there are many different OpenType Features that users might need.

Contextual Ligatures may often be required for handwritten scripts. I think what you want is Randomised Letter Forms. To add them, you can use VOLT, or the free tools recommended in this Font Creator Tutorial thread. Adding OpenType Features.

After using Scanahand to create the desired alternative letter forms and/or ligature forms in the Private Use Area (is that possible?) you would then use the above free tools to add the OpenType Features. Its not trivial, but not terribly difficult for a computer savvy user.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

mully wrote:okay once Scanahand gets improved metrics and the auto kern feature I think it's almost there.....

however one feature would be AWESOME.... maybe only in the super premium edition:

AUTO LIGATURES !!!!

the scanned template has is twice as long and has each character twice (or up to four times for the really cool stuff)
now scanahand uses this to create a font with auto ligatures where the letters change from version a to version b
so if you're word uses the letter "A" for the first time - version a - is chosen... if the letter "A" appears a second time - version b - is used

that would certainly make me upgrade

I read your post earlier today and as a result I have added another post to the following thread.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4375#p19040

The particular post is available at the following place.

viewtopic.php?p=19059#p19059

If that suggestion is accepted and implemented by High-Logic then ligatures and alternates will become possible.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I think what you want is Randomised Letter Forms.

Thank you for that link.

So what is the best way to add a feature to what I have suggested about requesting alternate glyphs in the Scanahand Template Editor so that the completed font can signal to an application program the desire to use Randomised Letter Forms?

Looking down the page to which Bhikkhu Pesala refers it appears that rlig might also be desirable, so perhaps keep r for use for requesting an rlig ligature.

William Overington

13 May 2013
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Please consider the following post.

viewtopic.php?p=19063#p19063

William Overington

13 May 2013