SVG Import Issue

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
prashanthm

SVG Import Issue

Post by prashanthm »

When trying to import the SVG, it creates a font far away from the baseline. symbol shape gets changed automatically to something very unuseful.

Is there any configuration to do before importing SVG to control its quality?

Also, if we import this after converting to png, it appears as a single block however I want the symbol to be differentiated based on the color/block available in png.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: SVG Import Issue

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

See Tools, Options, Exchange to adjust the position and scale of imported SVG files.

Zip the SVG file and attach it to the forum if you want us to check out the issue.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Attached is the SVG file for your review, I did tried various options with no luck.
I am trying to create the symbol with two different colors. I believe we cannot assign color to a font however application where I want to use the symbol allows me to assign color. But it requires two individual font/symbol so that it can assign color on one block.

I am also trying to look out for a way if we can directly create font from SVG without comprising on quality of symbol.

Every help will be appreciated.
Attachments
Symbol.zip
SVG FIle
(733 Bytes) Downloaded 149 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

My browser can open the SVG two coloured image OK, but other vector applications fail.

FontCreator 13 can open it, but makes no sense of it.

FontCreator can make multiple coloured glyphs quite easily, but not all applications support coloured fonts yet. Each shape is coloured separately, and the layers are combined to make a single coloured glyph. If you have any application that can edit SVG images, such as Inkscape, try copy/paste from there to a FontCreator Glyph edit window.

Making Multicoloured Glyphs
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

I believe we have individual coloured glyphs in AI so that may be useful. I will try it out and let results know here.

However keen on knowing the alignment of glyphs imported from SVG. It gets imported very far from the baseline or even sometimes for SVG having very thin line it doesn't gets imported.

Is there any additional configuration and option during importing process.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:35 am See Tools, Options, Exchange to adjust the position and scale of imported SVG files.
That is the only setting to change in FontCreator. How you export your SVG files is critical.

See this tutorial: Create OpenType Color Fonts.
shibli313

Post by shibli313 »

Is there any way to reset options to default values??
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Look at the help file, it seems that the default is 128 pixels per em, and position at the origin 0,0.

There is no way to reset to the defaults, short of reinstalling FontCreator. It is unlikely that the default settings are going to suit anyone, let alone everyone. How the outlines look after import depends on the size and position of the source images.
shibli313

Post by shibli313 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:25 am
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:35 am See Tools, Options, Exchange to adjust the position and scale of imported SVG files.
That is the only setting to change in FontCreator. How you export your SVG files is critical.

See this tutorial: Create OpenType Color Fonts.
In fact I imported SVG few times just fine only problem was misplacing and I had it solved through transform command. Then a friend suggested to change these Options Exchange to adjust the position and scale of imported SVG files, to 100.00 and position to 0;0. When I was changing this I didn't notice the default settings and now I'm in limbo.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

See the screenshot in the help file.
Exchange Settings.png
Exchange Settings.png (28.43 KiB) Viewed 3239 times