FontCreator 14 Pro. Export font as...

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Karsten

FontCreator 14 Pro. Export font as...

Post by Karsten »

It is not possible to export front as the file name?

When I open the ktjak.ttf or KTJAK.fcp file it becomes exported as font family: "Spidestedet Regular.ttf" and not ktjak.ttf

How can I export as the file name?

FontCreator 14.0.0.2814 (64-bit)
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: FontCreator 14 Pro. Export font as...

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That is not a bug; it is designed to work that way.

The filename on disk is unimportant, and can be anything, what matters is the name of the font in Applications, which will be Spidestedet Regular in your case.

You can change the filename in Windows Explorer if you wish, but it is easier to identify fonts by their font family names.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Karsten

Post by Karsten »

I want to keep my front database names. as KTJ01.ttf and KTJ02.ttf

file name does not matter to me. why can I not keep the file name as in FontCreator v10.

from FontCreatorManual.pdf
FontCreator Help
4.5 Export a Font
The first time you export your font you will be asked to choose an output location. If
you want to export the active project with a different file name, or in a different
location, select Export Font As in the File menu.

all that I have been working on since Font Creator v7. I have to rename the old file name every time.
why do I not get the choice to keep the file name?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I believe that it related to support for variable fonts.

With a variable font, only one master font is used to create multiple subfamilies.

Many things have changed since FontCreator 7, which was released in 2013. It will be a steep learning curve since you have not upgraded for so long, but IMO it is worth the effort if you do more than occasional font editing. If you just want to do minor maintenance on your fonts, you can continue using the old version.

It is recommended to keep project files for different versions in separate folders because projects from newer versions cannot be opened in old versions.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Karsten

Post by Karsten »

You do not answer my question
why should I not decide what the file is called.
i work with windows my way. and I do not want my files to be renamed. this is a big buck.
save as. is a windows function. which is disconnected in FontCreator 14.0.0.2814 (64-bit)

Why?
should I ask for money back?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Help file and manual still has not been updated fully for FontCreator 14. Erwin is the sole developer, and he has not had time to do it yet. It requires a complete rewrite of several sections.

In FontCreator 13 you can indeed choose the filename in Export Settings, but in FontCreator 14 you just choose the output folder, and FontCreator names each font in the set for you, according to the subfamily name. As I tried to explain, this change is due to Variable font support.
Export Settings.png
Export Settings.png (15.17 KiB) Viewed 10276 times
As to whether you should ask for a refund, that depends on your reasons for upgrading. I guess your previous version was too old to qualify for an upgrade pricing discount. Why did you upgrade? Did you want to develop variable fonts, or was it for some other feature like Colour fonts, or anchor-based glyph positioning, or simply to support development of the program?

Perhaps FontCreator 13 will better suit your needs. Take a look at my review site or the changelogs to see what new features have been added over the years.
Karsten

Post by Karsten »

your answer

The filename on disk is unimportant, and can be anything, what matters is the name of the font in Applications, which will be Spidestedet Regular in your case.

You can change the filename in Windows Explorer if you wish, but it is easier to identify fonts by their font family names.

Why can't I choose the name of my file?

every time I change the file. I must first delete the old one. then rename the new one to the old file name.
there is still an export bug. see ttf_04.png
Attachments
Export ttf_04.png
Export ttf_04.png (221.66 KiB) Viewed 10270 times
Export ttf_03.png
Export ttf_03.png (58.72 KiB) Viewed 10270 times
Export ttf_02.png
Export ttf_02.png (58.05 KiB) Viewed 10270 times
Export ttf.png
Export ttf.png (27.33 KiB) Viewed 10270 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I am not sure what you want to show us with your last post.

The user manual is not updated yet, it takes more time than expected.

As Bhikkhu Pesala already explained, the font export feature is now based on a folder, as with variable fonts, you need to be able to export multiple font instances at once.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Karsten

Post by Karsten »

that a bold font with the name Krukholm becomes, Font Regular.otf? or Font Regular.ttf?
Why may I not keep the name Krukholm, as the file name?

It's still a big mistake/bug. why rename the file, when Bhikkhu Pesala writes that the name has no meaning?

every time I change the file. I must first delete the old one. then rename the new one to the old file name.

When I export the file as Krukholm, it should keep the name Krukholm. and not be renamed to " Font Regular.otf "
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Karsten wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:35 pm that a bold font with the name Krukholm becomes, Font Regular.otf? or Font Regular.ttf?
Why may I not keep the name Krukholm, as the file name?

It's still a big mistake/bug. why rename the file, when Bhikkhu Pesala writes that the name has no meaning?

When I export the file as Krukholm, it should keep the name Krukholm. and not be renamed to " Font Regular.otf "
There are two wrong settings:

1. You should include a Family Name for the English US locale.
2. You need to enable the Include on Export setting for your instance.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Karsten

Post by Karsten »

thanks for the many answers.
I have now removed the V14 pro from my computer.

is it possible to get a "Registration code for FontCreator Professional Edition" for v13 64bit. and how can I switch from V14 to V13

Dear Karsten Jensen,
Thank you for purchasing:
- FontCreator v14.x Professional Edition (upgrade from previous Professional Edition)
The registration code below requires FontCreator 14. Download the latest version from our download page: http://www.high-logic.com/download.html
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I have send you an email.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Kzrn

Post by Kzrn »

Hello,

Faced the same problem installing 14 version. Can I use the code for version 13 and how can I install version 13?
Christy

Post by Christy »

Has anyone figured out a way to export the font with just the name? without the regular being added? I'm on vs 14 standard.

I have found that in the Font Properties tab under "Instances" the "General" section has a Style Name box (typeable) and a check box above that says Include on export. This box automatically has the word Regular in it, but I've tried unchecking the box, unchecking the box and making it blank, and typing alternate text in. The alternate text will show up in the .ttf name but when left unchecked or blank it puts the word Regular.

I would prefer not to have to rename every font exported. . .
XPSystemServices

Post by XPSystemServices »

Please let us specify a custom file name.

This is very annoying each time renaming files after exporting.
The new export scenario is terrible.