Opening a font on a Polish computer

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Cassel

Opening a font on a Polish computer

Post by Cassel »

I am experiencing an odd problem. I created some stitching fonts (you can view them HERE:
https://creationcassel.com/store/index. ... cts_id=785
They work fine for all who purchased them, except one user who happens to be Polish. He said he could not install them, or when he installed one, it would try to overwrite it when installing the second one. I guided him to use TheFontThing to access the font in his PaintShop Pro without installing them, and in his font drop-down list, it appears listed as NORMALNY and not the font name.

Since I had serious issues communicating with him (he does not speak English so we needed Google Translate), I found another PaintShop Pro user who speaks Polish. I sent her the fonts, and she also sees one font appear as NORMALNY but not the second one (she cannot install the font at this point, due to her computer being "ill").

NORMALNY was nowhere in the name of the font or attribute or other. Can someone help me make sense of why these two Polish users cannot seem to be able to view the fonts in their program?

Thanks
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Opening a font on a Polish computer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In Polish, Noralny = Regular in English. That is the Font Subfamily.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Cassel

Post by Cassel »

OK is there a reason why the font that I have called cass-Two-Tone Stitch FontA would display as NORMALNY instead? Since there are two fonts to install, only one will show as NORMALNY so the user can't seem to be able to use them both in combination. Any explanation for that? and a solution?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

At some point we introduced a bug in version 14 that caused new fonts to have the localized font style names stored in the font family name. :oops: We fixed this issue with FontCreator 14.0.0.2840. It no longer provides localized style names for new fonts as it is less common nowadays, but you can always decide to add them.

I suspect this is the cause of your problem, and if so, it is easy to fix. Just click the [+24] button at the right of the Family Name, which is located on Font Properties panel, on the Font tab. From there select all but English and then click the Delete button.
fontfamilyname.png
fontfamilyname.png (66.87 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Cassel

Post by Cassel »

Oh, that is great to hear. I just followed the instructions, and sent to the Polish user. I should hear from her later today or tomorrow. I will report back as soon as she can confirm that the behavior of the font has changed.
:)
Cassel

Post by Cassel »

I made the changes you suggested, and re-export the font. It created two new fonts in the folder with (1) added to the name. I chose to rename the files so the previous one had (old) in the name, in my Windows Explorer and for the newly created one, which had (1), I removed that so it would have the expected name.

I sent those newly created files, but renamed to have the same name to the user, and she shows me that it still shows as NORMALNY. Did I skip a step? Is there somewhere else I should have removed the mention of that language reference? Should I have not renamed it to the same name I had before?
Cassel

Post by Cassel »

OK the Polish user still had issues so I looked further into the program and found other places where the NORMALNY appeared: in the Instances.
In addition, I added Polish in the list (instead of deleting it) and edited the label to the same one used in English.
She confirms that it is now displaying correctly.

Thank you for your help.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Good to hear the problem is solved.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Cassel

Post by Cassel »

I am about to release another font, and was wondering if this issue has been fixed in the update or if I still have to go through the same process to get the fonts to work in other languages (namely in Polish in case the same customer wants it).
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Cassel wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:59 pm I am about to release another font, and was wondering if this issue has been fixed in the update or if I still have to go through the same process to get the fonts to work in other languages (namely in Polish in case the same customer wants it).
Yes, the problem has been solved since May 2022.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Cassel

Post by Cassel »

Thanks.