Can hand painted fonts be scanned in?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
franksacco

Can hand painted fonts be scanned in?

Post by franksacco »

Hi, I have just recently downloaded the trial version of Font Creator 5 and was wondering if I can scan my own hand painted fonts into the program to make my own fonts? I am a sign painter who still letters by hand and would like to transform my hand painted styles into computer usable True Type fonts. Thank you! Frank Sacco :roll:
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Yes, fonts can be made from artwork, either artwork scanned into the computer or artwork drawn using a program such as Microsoft Paint.

Enter the editing window of a glyph of your choice, by highlighing it in the main window and then either double-clicking or pressing RETURN on the keyboard, then use Tools Import Image... which opens up a two panel dialogue window.

William Overington
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Take a look at the On line Tutorial and these fonts made with Font Creator by Pia Frauss.

I find it quickest to paste bitmaps copied to the clipboard directly into the Font Overview window, though the import image method offers greater control.

One thing you need to take care about is scaling. If you need to scale the characters within font Creator to make them the right size, make sure that you scale them all by the same amount. Use the Glyph Transform feature on all of the imported characters (after saving) to scale them all by the same amount.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486