please help!

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
davidm

please help!

Post by davidm »

please forgive me if this has been answered but i couldnt find it:)
I have just altered a font to include logos and symbols... it was very easy to do so and they are in teh font...but when I open up the character panel I can not see them.

how do i associate the new charachter with a simple key?
like shift 2 letters or something?
the characheter i inserted for a % sign shows but the ones that i created are all listed at the bottom of the font-
can anyone help me with this issue?
I CAN SEND THE FONT IF SOMEONE WOULD LIKE TO SEE:)

I'm lucky I could understand how to create a new character !
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hi davidm

Let me see if I can ask the right questions so you give me the right answers:

1. "I altered a font to include logos and symbols" --
a. Was it a working font? (Please say yes).
b. Was it a symbol font? (Please say yes).
c. Did you delete the existing letters and add (Insert) all new ones? (Please say no).
d. Did you edit each old glyph, Select All, Delete and then add your new shape? (Please say yes).
e. Have you ever used a keying system (my word) which is defined as "shift 2 letters or something"? (Please say hmmm -- I don't know what answer I'm looking for here).

2. By "character panel" do you mean the F5 Test Font panel? (Please say yes) Or is it the Windows Control Panel (Please say no).

3. When you "inserted a % sign" did you use the same process as you used for the rest of the characters? (How did you get one right and the rest wrong? Please say hmmm as it probably doesn't matter).

Since the ones you created are all listed at the bottom of the font and they weren't displayed in the F5 Test Font it means they are not mapped to anything and so must be assigned to letters.

Since you already have the glyphs drawn -- keep them, but start a new font. The Font Creator New Font has a great template as a starting point. It gives alphabet or symbol maps so all you have to do is fill in all the naming values and autoname and then copy in your glyphs.

There is an easy way to do this which I don't know, but conceptually Select All/Copy/Paste from your old font to the new font. I think this can be done en mass but I've never done one from the beginning to know. Brute force will work.

After defining the font (naming) and copying your characters into the FCsquares you should just about be home free. The maps make the assignment of keys to glyphs -- alphabetic fonts use A-Z, a-z, 0-9 (I understand those typewriter keys) and Symbol fonts use the CharMap or insert Symbol process -- which I don't understand. Either way I believe you would have your "shift 2 letters or something" solution.

If it works -- great, otherwise tell us your progress and ask more questions... maybe somebody who knows things will answer next time.

Oh yea, and congratulations on creating all your new glyphs -- you da' artist, I'm the mechanic.

Dick Pape
Last edited by Dick Pape on Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joop Jagers
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Joop Jagers »

I suspect you didn't assign a value to the new glyphs. If you like you can send me your font, so I can have a look: joopjagers at hotmail.com