''How to'' duplicate letters to make other letters

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
RANDY

''How to'' duplicate letters to make other letters

Post by RANDY »

How do I select the lower case ''i'' glyph window-duplicate the ''i''-then delete the ''dot'' and save the new ''l'' to a new glyph window? Thanks for the help. RANDY
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Duplicates and Composites

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In the Overview Windows (where you can see the whole font), select the i, copy it (Control C).

Insert a glyph wherever you want. Paste the "i" in there. This will copy the glyph and its side-bearings and advance width. Double-click or enter to open the glyph edit window and delete the dot to get a dotless i.

Next, you have to map the new character to dotless i.

To make ï from this and the diaeresis accent ¨ (0168).
Insert a new glyph and paste the "i" as before. Open the glyph edit window and delete the "i."
Now insert glyph into this (now) blank glyph, and select the dotless i you made earlier. Then insert glyph again, and insert the diaeresis accent. Position correctly to make ï. This is called a composite glyph as it is composed from existing characters. Composite glyphs save space in the font and avoid unnecessary duplication of data.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486