Spacebar Question

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Sharon_S

Spacebar Question

Post by Sharon_S »

Hopefully this is the last question for my first font. Almost there..

I am missing the spacebar space in my font. As far as I know i didn't delete anything that i shouldn't.

Thanks for any help.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The space character is normally the fourth glyph in your font and is mapped to both 32 and 160 (non-breaking space). It should have a width of about 500-700 funits depending on the design of your font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I would recommend an advance width that is between 1/3 and 1/4 of the units per em. So for a font with units per em set to 2048, use a value between 512 and 682. To find out what units per em your font uses, select Settings from the Format menu.

Note: for the space character make sure the advance width is between 1/2 and 1/5 of the units per em.
Last edited by Erwin Denissen on Fri May 12, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Sharon_S

Post by Sharon_S »

:lol: Ok I am having a giggle because on first reading I didn't understand a word of that!!! :lol:

On second reading I was able to go in and sort it out. I still didn't understand most of it but was able to fiddle based on the numbers you both gave. :oops: Thank you so much. The help here has been terrific for a beginner like me....

I am proud to say that my first font is now complete!!!

Now for the next one...
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions for some explanation of Typographical terminology. You can post your font in the Gallery if you want some feedback. If you have no webspace on which to host it you can send it to Erwin.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486