VOLT and protection

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
JC

VOLT and protection

Post by JC »

I use MS VOLT to create the font database. Is there a way to compile the font in such a manner that the database cannot be viewed any more?

Thak you.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You might want to ask this question at the Microsoft VOLT users community.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
JC

VOLT dialog

Post by JC »

My Q:
My font has multiple levels of ligatures. The text works as expected in Notepad of Windows XP SP2 (not any other versions of Windows or Macintosh).

However, no other higher level programs can show the ligatures. They show the base characters.
============
Asst Manager VOLT:
Unfortunately no, Office 2007 applications do not support OpenType layout features for simple scripts. And I am as disappointed about this as you are :(

Thanks,
========
My Followup:
Which layout features for simple scripts? Does it include ligatures like f,f,i made into one ligature (ffi)?

I read this pre-Win2K doc:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/dev ... /intro.htm

It says,

At a minimum, font developers should be able to expect that an application has knowledge of (or services for executing) script rules as defined in the Unicode standard. Application developers should be able to expect that a font has glyphs and positioning information representing layout features as defined by the Unicode standard.

And...
Applications may introduce their own knowledge or preferences regarding script layout. OpenType layout fonts may even contain layout rules that duplicate or supersede those applied by OS services. The layered structure of OS services supporting text layout allows a client to choose which layout information to use, and how to apply it.

[My Q:]
Has Microsoft and Apple abandoned these principles? I think (and hope) that the fsult is mine -- that I am omitting something simple in selecting options for compiling the font in VOLT or the Font program, because all I am doing is making ligatures for combination of Latin characters.

Help is eagerly awaited.