Mapping problem

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Jowaco

Mapping problem

Post by Jowaco »

:?
I have several variations of the same hand-written character e.g. 'a' with no ligaures, 'a' with leading ligature, 'a' with trailing ligature, 'a' with leading and trailing ligatures. They, and others, are established as glyphs in a font but as yet remain unmapped. I wish to establish these in a font as alternatives to be called up in an application with something like Alt+0+xxxx. My problem is with mapping each glyph. Which code page should I use to map them? Is there a code page set aside for user use? How do I go about it?
I would appreciate some guidance.
Joe.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Private Use Area

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In Unicode fonts there is a Private Use Area from E000 to F8FF
Thats 57344 to 63743 in Decimal Unicode mapping.

Many older applications do not support Unicode though, and so won't be able to use the characters if you map to these positions.

It might be beyond your ability, as it is beyond mine at the moment, but the "right" way to implement ligatures is by using Open Type features. See the link below for an explanation of ligatures in Open Type:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/tt/ch1.htm
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486