Resizing bitmaps

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
bevo27

Resizing bitmaps

Post by bevo27 »

Is there a way to import saved bitmap characters without having to edit them? I am finding that when I resize my letters to fit the window, they are distorted. I know I could apply contour to them, but I was wanting to take the easy route.

Also, I read on this board that in Corel 10 you can save bitmaps as .ttf files. Does anyone know if you can do this in Adobe Illustrator, and if so how?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

There is no such feature in the Font Creator Program, but in the next release the Import Image feature will be improved. Right now you could try to enlarge the bitmap before importing it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

I don't understand the problem

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

When I import a bitmap and generate a contour from it, I can easily resize it to fit the window by dragging the corner handle and everything resizes in the right proportions. Have I misunderstand the problem here?

I think the reference to TTF from Corel Draw was about exporting vectors to Truetype files. I used to do that in Corel Draw 3.0 and 4.0, when I first started editing fonts ten years ago. One can export a single character or vector curve to a single character position in an existing font, or create a new one from scratch. This is not as good as using a font editor, but Corel Draw (even the early versions) has some powerful features like auto-reduction of nodes that makes editing curves easier than it is in Font Creator.

If you can find a boot sale version of Corel Draw 4, 5, or 6, buy it. I don't expect that Adobe Illustrator will export to TTF, but try searching the help file. Be warned though, Corel Draw 4.0 doesn't sit very happily in Windows ME though it does work.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
bevo27

Post by bevo27 »

Thanks for the help.

I have been experimenting with resizing the characters before importing. It's challenging me a bit because the size of each bitmap is different, but once I figure out the right size to make each one fit the window, it works well. When I add contour to it and then resize it, it works perfectly just takes more time.

Let me just say, this is very addicting!:)