No characters in font file

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Lasjoh

No characters in font file

Post by Lasjoh »

Hi, I've created a new font with this beautiful program, and installed it. It worked fine. After that, I've changed some characters, deleted the old TTF file, and installed it again. This works fine too.
However, I did not fill in all characters I wanted, so I reopened the font file, edited it and deleted the old font file again.
Installation goes without problems, only Windows now doesn't display any character in the Font file, while testing it in FCP 3.1.3 works fine,
What can be the cause of this ? I've tried deleting and re-installing the font even with different names, but it remains the same ? Has it something to do with the glyphs or glyph sizes ?

Tia

John
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

See:
viewtopic.php?p=333#333
I've had the same problem previously.
Could be wrong, but it worked for me.
Joe.
Lasjoh

Characters disappearing

Post by Lasjoh »

Not quite the same problems. The applications do see the font file. Only it seems to be emtpy. When opened in Windows font viewer, no characters are shown and the same applies to all applications. And I've tried restarting the computer several times.
I've found a workaround: create a new font file and copy all the contents from the old font file. That did the job for me.

John
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm glad you found a workaround.

Can you send the font file to me, so I can investigate the problem?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I've been able to analyze the fonts. The first font uses a Microsoft Unicode mapping, but is marked as a Symbol font. A font can't be a mix of Unicode and Symbol.

In order to change a symbol font into a normal font there are a few things:
· Make sure the Microsoft platform is "Microsoft Unicode". From the Platform Manager command (Format menu) select the Microsoft platform. Now press the change button. The platform should be changed from "Microsoft Symbol" to "Microsoft Unicode".
· In the Settings command (Format menu) on the Classification tab set the Panose - Family Kind from "Pictorial" to something appropriate and the Font-family - Class from "Symbolic" to something that suits the fonts style.
· In the Settings command (Format menu) on the Ranges tab change the Code Page Character Ranges (if available is checked). Unselect "Symbol Character Set" and select the appropriate ranges.

Symbol character sets have a special meaning. All of the characters in the Unicode range 0xF000 - 0xF0FF (this is the Private Use Area of Unicode) will be used to enumerate the symbol character set. Microsoft suggests deriving the symbol encodings by simply adding 0xF000 to the Macintosh encodings.

Note: only the first 224 characters of symbol fonts will be accessible.

I've only located one problem in the second font. The Microsoft Symbol Version String is missing.
The best and fastest way to ensure correct naming values is to select AutoNaming from the Tools menu.

Let me know if this solves the problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Lasjoh

Post by Lasjoh »

Erwin, your suggestions don't solve the problems. The first font was created as a symbol font and I didn't change any settings. Only after I coïncedently clicked the "AutoNaming" the problems start.
After that, I've been looking in the post in this forum to find a solution and it was then when I discoverd you could use different settings when not using AutoNaming. So i've tried a couple of things. one of them being changing the Symbol to a Unicode font (because I thougth the system would hold back some information on NewSymbolFont.ttf and thought that changing the font to Unicode would also change the fontname to NewUnicodeFont thus avouding any old system references).
But it didn't work.
The second font was created with all manual settings and works fine, that is on my own system. But perhaps sending the font by e-mail to somebody and tell him to put in in the windows\font directory is not sufficient for making the font to work on that system.

greetings

John
Lasjoh

Post by Lasjoh »

Thanks to Erwin the problem is solved. Indeed it appears that the Symbol version string was missing from the front. :(

John