Variations - inside a FC project file?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
lutz

Variations - inside a FC project file?

Post by lutz »

An option to store several versions of a glyph (variations) in the same project file ?
I guess this could help sorting out different ideas. If one could always exchange the "to be exported" version of a glyph easily, one could assemble all the ideas perhaps in a single file.
(I am only beginning to use FC and have already to many files - perhaps I am doing something wrong but I am hesitant to dump some ideas ).

This would likely require a file format for FontCreator projects.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There's nothing to stop you doing that now.

Just insert a few empty glyphs after the mapped glyph and store the (unmapped) glyph variants there.

You can easily strip out all the unwanted glyph variants later by Font, Sort Glyphs. All of the unmapped glyphs will be moved to the end of the font.

Take a look at any commercial font with OpenType features such as Palatino Linotype and you will find a whole load of unmapped glyph variants in it. These variants are accessed by using an OpenType feature called Glyph Substitution (GSUB).

For example, the ligature Th is not mapped to anything, but if the user types Th in an OpenType aware application, it will substitute the ligature for T+h.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486