Type Ascender and Typ Descender

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
mda mike

Type Ascender and Typ Descender

Post by mda mike »

I have to use diacritics that extend above and below the settings for the Winascent and Windescent. I have changed those values, and now the glyphs all appear on my screen.

However, I was perplexed by the TypoAscender and TypoDescender settings, and how they relate to the unitsPerem? Should they be related to the unitsPerem in some way?

Should I also be changing the TypoAscender and TypoDescender when I have changed the Winascent and Windescent values?

Thank you again for your help!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The Typo Ascender value should be greater than zero, the Typo Descender value should be negative and the value of (Typo Ascender - Typo Descender) is recommended to equal one em.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
mda mike

Post by mda mike »

Erwin,

Thank you for the reply, and the great program!

I have received permission from Agfa/Monotype to make changes to their Arial and Times New Roman fonts. So I am basing this information on what came with the Arial font.

TypoAscender = 1491
TypoDescender = -431
TypoLineGap = 307

Units per em = 2048
Ascender = 1854
Descender = -434
Linegap = 67

How do I know what 1 em is? When I add up the Typo*'s it comes up to a number that I can't find anywhere.

Thanks again for your help.

By the way, is it recommended that I change these values? The Winascent and Windescent made the font work, but SHOULD these Typo* values also be changed?[/b][/i]
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Units per em = 2048
One em contains xxx Units per em, so like most TrueType fonts your em has 2048 units.

A quote from Microsoft hinting and production guidelines specification:
"sTypoAscender, sTypoDescender, and sTypoLineGap are all typographic values left up to the designers discretion. sTypoLineGap should roughly equal 7-10% of the Em."
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
mda mike

Post by mda mike »

Well now! that was fairly obvious. It just throws me that the font originally did not = 1 em when the TypoAscender - TypoDescender is calculated. Thank you for your help!