How do I make a font with identical cases?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
elak

How do I make a font with identical cases?

Post by elak »

Is there a good way to organize a font whose glyphs should be identical in upper and lower case?

There is the quick and dirty way of copying all glyphs from one case to the other. That means twice the file size and twice the number of kerning pairs. And there is the slow and painful way of manually adding extra mapping for each glyph.

I suppose I could live with the former, but neither is particularly pretty...
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

There is the quick and dirty way of copying all glyphs from one case to the other. That means twice the file size and twice the number of kerning pairs.
You could also use composite glyphs.
And there is the slow and painful way of manually adding extra mapping for each glyph.
Right now there is no other way, however feature requests are welcome.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

I would just delete one of the cases and simply map both cases to the first, so each glyph has two mappings. That way, you don't need all the extra kerning, and you have no overhead for composites or even the extra glyph spaces. That would be my down and dirty solution. It takes some time, but I have manually mapped a bunch of glyphs, and it is pretty easy using the Format:Mappings tool.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Small Caps

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I would be inclined to use the composites method. This also gives the possibility of creating simulated Small Caps by scaling the lowercase letters down by 70% or so.

Adding mappings can be very tedious, especially if you have three platforms.

:idea: Something for he Requests and Enhancements thread. When using paste special, why not have the option to add glyph mappings without pasting the glyphs themselves or the glyph metrics.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Yehuda
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Yehuda »

Something for he Requests and Enhancements thread. When using paste special, why not have the option to add glyph mappings without pasting the glyphs themselves or the glyph metrics.
I've been meaning to post this request for a while. Thanks, Bhikkhu. :)
Yehuda N. Falk
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Jerusalem, Israel

"And because, in all the galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere."
--Arthur C. Clarke, 2001: A Space Odyssey