How do you save as .fon and .otf?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Thunderhead

How do you save as .fon and .otf?

Post by Thunderhead »

It says that FontCreator 5.6 is an truetype AND opentype (.otf) font editor and creator. i have no problem EDITING oepntype fonts, but if i make a new font it only gives me the option to save as a truetype font (.ttf). i have the program registered and i have the latest version. also is there any way to save as a raster font (.fon)?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: How do you save as .fon and .otf?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I guess the description is a bit ambiguous.
This professional font editor allows you to create and edit TrueType and OpenType fonts.
You can edit and create Truetype fonts, but you can only edit OpenType fonts. To add OpenType features to a font requires third party software such as VOLT or OpenType Compiler.
You cannot save bitmapped FON files from FontCreator.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Re: How do you save as .fon and .otf?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:You can edit and create Truetype fonts, but you can only edit OpenType fonts.
Actually FontCreator is no longer able to create TrueType fonts, that technology is superseded by OpenType. For some reason the file extension is still .ttf, and Windows incorrectly identifies these OpenType fonts as TrueType fonts. More information about this can be found here.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:To add OpenType features to a font requires third party software such as VOLT or OpenType Compiler.
That's correct. FontCreator can only make basic OpenType fonts. To make OpenType fonts with advanced (layout) features you'll need additional software. Both VOLT (from Microsoft) and OpenType Compiler (from Rogier van Dalen) are free and will do the trick.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology