META-THREAD ClearType and pixel fonts

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

META-THREAD ClearType and pixel fonts

Post by William »

I have been looking at the following thread, there being four posts in that thread as I write this post.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2648

I had heard of ClearType, though knew all but nothing about it, so I looked it up.

On the Windows xp professional PC that I am using I found that Start Help and Support and then entering ClearType in the Search box produced some information.

I found that the following sequence got me to the right place.

Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display and then On the Appearance tab, click Effects and then the second selection box on the page gave me a choice of Standard, which was where it was set, and ClearType.

I tried using my Pixel Polka font, which is available from the Gallery if anyone wishes to have a copy.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1279

I found that with Standard, I got the desired crisp display that I had got previously, yet with ClearType I got the same yellow and cyan lines that are shown in the illustration in the original thread.

I made a PrintScreen from within the Font Test... facility of FontCreator 5.6 and then pasted into Microsoft Paint and then viewed it at 8x magnification.

A quote from the help system on the PC that I am using.
ClearType is ideal for portable computer and other flat screen monitors. ClearType may appear slightly blurry on desktop computer monitors.
As for Grayscale, it is at the default condition as far as I remember.

Erwin, could you possibly have a look at my Pixel Polka font please and advise as to whether there is anything wrong with it please or anything that could be done to it with as regards Grayscale please.

In relation to the http://www.iamcal.com/misc/fonts/pixfonttut/part1.php tutorial, something which puzzled me, I do mean puzzled as I am not expert on such matters, is that it shows Win Ascent at 2560 whereas I have always thought that one needed to keep Win Ascent at 2048 as a maximum if one is using 2048 Units per em. Maybe I have misunderstood something along my learning curve and got the wrong idea?

William Overington

18 March 2009