Space bar glyph/character

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
AndyL

Space bar glyph/character

Post by AndyL »

Question:
How do I make the space character in my font contain a glyph but only display that character on screen in MS Word 2003 when 'Show/Hide' is switched on?

Background:
Microsoft Word can display on screen non-printable characters such as a space (a dot vertically in the centre of the line), a carriage return (back to front looking capital 'P') etc.

I wish to use the same glyphs/characters as used in Arial.

I've found the carriage return ($00B6 - postscript name) and copied and pasted the glyph (resized it) and it works well.

I've tried the same with the space character ($0020 and/or $00A0 - postscript names) but this has an undesired effect. The space character should be blank when viewed on screen (just like when you type in a regular font, like I'm doing here, for example) but when I turn on 'Show/Hide' in Word (Tools > Options... > View tab > Formatting marks section > and tick All) I want to the see the non-printable glyph (vertically aligned dot) in the line.

Am I using the right character?

Thank you,
Andy
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Space bar glyph/character

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Glyph $00A0 is the non-breaking space — a fixed width space used to keep words together on the same line. It is often inserted by pressing control + space bar in wordprocessors. That is not the non-printing space character you want, which I think is the middle dot or period centre: $00B7.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

AndyL wrote:Question:
How do I make the space character in my font contain a glyph but only display that character on screen in MS Word 2003 when 'Show/Hide' is switched on?
Well, I only have Word 97, but my understanding, not formally learned anywhere, is that one uses U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT in the font and that one does not alter the glyphs of the space characters. Then Word dynamically makes an on-the-fly substitution in the display engine and uses U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT glyph instead of a space glyph. This character appears to have the PostScript name periodcentered with the American English spelling of the word centre.

I have just made a test font, by deleting two identical looking glyphs from a copy of a font made using Scanahand and changing the name of the font and the file name, and it seems that it is U+00B7 that one needs, at least in Word 97, so maybe it worth testing whether it is still the same in Word 2003.

William Overington

23 March 2009
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Thanks for the advice - have sorted it now - looking good!

It certainly does appear to use the U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT glyph (PostScript name "periodcentered").

Thanks again for your help :D
Andy