Thinning out glyphs

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
AndyL

Thinning out glyphs

Post by AndyL »

Hello,

I am converting a JPG image of a new brand name into a font and all's fine ... but is there an easy way to make all letters generally thinner/smaller in appearance?

I've tried reducing the Scale but this makes each character slightly smaller and keeps it to scale (as expected!) - whereas I'm wanting (is it possible?) to make the black gaps between contours/black lines thinner in one easy go? I suspect I need to alter each individual contour point but want to avoid this as it's a massive task.

Many thanks,
Andy
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Thinning out glyphs

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you are using the Pro edition or the Trial edition (the same thing), you can use a Glyph Transformation to do this in one step. Tools, Glyph Transformations, and click the Open folder icon. There are several different Thin Transformations to choose from. They may need adjusting to suit your font's design as they were designed for one particular Sans Serif typeface.

See my tutorials on Working With Transformations and

Using Glyph Transformations

If your font has high contrast between thick and thin strokes, it is quite difficult — otherwsie, it generally works well without much adjustment.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
AndyL

Re: Thinning out glyphs

Post by AndyL »

Great - thank you - didn't know this feature even existed!!
Will give it a go ...