Can anyone explain how exactly I add special characters

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
can16358p

Can anyone explain how exactly I add special characters

Post by can16358p »

I am from Turkey and I want to add 6 characters (İ,ı,ş,Ş,ğ,Ğ) to my font.
But I don't know much about the program. I made A-Z 0-9 a-z and some of the symbols and they are working. How can I add the characters İışŞğĞ to my font??
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Right click on the character right before where you want a new character (like after I, i, s, S, g, and G) and click "Add". Make the character like you would any other.

Then, you need to map those guys, so you can access the glyph in a program. You can do this at right click:Properties:mappings tab. Use "select" to find the mapping you want. All these characters (I think) should be under the Latin Extended-A block (you will figure out what I'm talking about when you hit "select").

PS, "Add" does something different from "select" in the mappings tab, and I even still screw it up sometimes. It's quite counter-intuitive, but you will get it eventually.
can16358p

I did all of them but it didn't work

Post by can16358p »

I did all of them correct.
For example I added new glyph after "I" and I choose the "LATIN CAPITAL I WITH DOT ABOVE" (or something like that I dont remember) it was $0130, and the right thing.
I drew the letter into the glyph normally, but when I press the "İ" key on my keyboard, it shows the ".notdef" character.
I want to make my font compatible with Turkish Keyboard.
In Arial, when I'm on the test screen, there are a lot of choices like ANSI, TURKISH etc.
How can I add these choices to my font, there is only ANSI in my font.
Yehuda
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Yehuda »

Pull down the Format menu and select Settings. Pick the Ranges tab. Where it says "Version" make sure it says "Version 1" (or higher). Now click on the Edit button for Code Page Character Ranges. Check the box for Turkish (1254). Click OK to close the Code Page settings dialog box, and then click OK to close the Font Settings dialog box. Your font should now be set to be compatible with the Turkish keyboard.
Yehuda N. Falk
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Jerusalem, Israel

"And because, in all the galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere."
--Arthur C. Clarke, 2001: A Space Odyssey
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Welcome to the wonderful world of font editing

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There is a lot to learn, but you will gradually master it if you keep trying. Don't expect it to be too easy.

You're right the &#304 is Hex $0130 or Decimal $0304. If you open the Arial font you will see how this is made as a composite character from the I and a dot. It is best to use this method when creating accented characters in your font. If you later make changes to the I all of the other accented I's will change too. Do the same with &#286, &#287, etc. If you already have the G and g, you can create the breve accent separately: &#728

To add the Turkish option to your font I think you need to edit the Unicode Ranges. Format, Settings, Ranges Tab, Unicode Character Ranges, Edit. There you need to put a check box next to Latin Extended A, which is the Unicode Range where &#304 resides.

If you could post further questions in the Support Forum rather than the Specifications Forum, it might be more useful to others who can also learn from your Questions and Answers. Here, they might not be noticed.

Thanks.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486