making a font from a bmp

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
vaneger

making a font from a bmp

Post by vaneger »

i have all my symbols in a bmp file , how do i make it into a TT with this program?, pointing me to the right place in tutorials or help files would be good thanks :)
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

Hello,
You have exactly the right application to do what you wish but things must be done beforehand. Each symbol must be isolated. You say that the symbols are all in one bitmap file. You need another application which has graphics capabilities to isoate one symbol by cropping and saving this symbol or copying it to Clipboard. If you save the symbol bmp file then open the Edit window in the position in the Glyph overview window by double clicking. Select Import from the Tools menu and then you must Load the file from there. If you Copy to Clipboard then in the Edit window of the glyph position you are working on click on Paste in the Edit menu. Paste it and adjust position and bearings.
Hope this helps.
Joe. (York).
vaneger

bmp size

Post by vaneger »

what size should i make it in the font prog? it starts at 100,000 but is that good?
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

Hello again vaneger,
In my Help file in FCP 3.1 it says that to import files they should be between 100x100 and 500x500 *pixels*. Larger files than this may cause problems. If you have a symbol larger that this then you need to use the Copy to Clipboard option and paste into an Edit window.
You did not say whether or not you have this latest version of FCP.
If you have then:
Select Help from the Menu bar.
Select the Contents tab.
Expand the Editing Fonts book
Double click the Tools book and you will find a great deal of information there to help you.
Hope you sort it out.
Joe.
mpf1526

Post by mpf1526 »

I have a similar problem and am tearing my hair out trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I have a collection of 16x16 transparent gifs that I want to convert to individual characters in a symbol font for Windows. I use the Marlett font on my web pages now; but it doesn't have a lot of the characters that I want.

I have followed the FCP3 Help directions for setting up a symbol font. I bring my gif into Photoshop, convert it to a BMP, copy to the clipboard, paste it into FCP3-- and I get a weird-shaped distortion of the symbol. Going back to Photoshop, I resize the image to 300x300, copy and paste into FCP3. Now it looks a lot better-- but I can't figure out where to put it in the glyph edit window or what size it should be.

I opened the Wingdings font to see how it did things. I noticed the baseline is 0 always and the size in 1500 or so. I expanded my pasted symbol to 1500 and it looked better; but I am losing confidence that I ever will be able to make this do what I want it to do. Basically I want the symbol to take up a 16x16 pixel space on my web page, *look* like a gif but *be* a letter in font. The limited symbols in the Marlett font work great for this purpose. Any suggestions?
Jowaco

Importing/pasting

Post by Jowaco »

I fear that you are asking the impossible of FCP3. No amount of resizing or resampling in an image editing program can make a 16 x 16 pixel image suitable for importing or pasting into the edit window of FCP3. The image is far too small as a starting point.
Joe.
mpf1526

Post by mpf1526 »

Well that's a good starting point and good to know. Obviously I want the final character, as displayed, to be about 16x16. If I can't start with that, then I will assume that 500x500 is a good place to start. I can blow up my images to that resolution. Any suggestions on how best to position the glyph within the FCP3 edit window so that I can end up with a character that is displayable with the precision I want?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Guidelines

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I would enlarge your symbols by an exact multiple of 2, to 64 or 128 pixels.
I would import the Marlett character g (the black square) into your font and drag guidelines to each side of the square. Then I would use those guidelines to centre the new symbols and maintain the correct proportions and left and right side-bearings.

If the symbols are simple geometric shapes, I would draw contours around the bitmaps by hand, rather than auto-tracing them. That will give you smooth curves or straight lines with fewer points to manipulate.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486