[Another] Arial Unicode (MS) Bold

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
uritsukidoji

[Another] Arial Unicode (MS) Bold

Post by uritsukidoji »

Hi,

I need a bold version of the Arial Unicode font, wich contains over 50000 characters, so manually converting each character is not an option.

I tried using FontoGrapher, where you can change the weight of a font (perfect!), but when opening Arial Unicode (MS) it crashes, probably because it's just too big.

I need the bold variant, because MM Flash has problems making fonts bold when using HTML markup.

Would love to hear your ideas...
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

There should be a specific arial bold font out there. Remember that bolds are not just heavier versions of the regular face, but have distinct subtleties in and of themselves. Find that font, because there's really no other way of doing it.
uritsukidoji

Post by uritsukidoji »

vanisaac wrote:There should be a specific arial bold font out there. Remember that bolds are not just heavier versions of the regular face, but have distinct subtleties in and of themselves. Find that font, because there's really no other way of doing it.
I know, I have the Arial bold, but I need the Unicode variant, with all the japanese korean arabic etc. characters. I also know that it's not just heavier, but in this case I have no choice, and it doesn't matter.

It can be done the quick and dirty way. Anyone suggestions for tools that might do this?
Sam_T

Post by Sam_T »

uritsukidoji wrote:
vanisaac wrote:It can be done the quick and dirty way. Anyone suggestions for tools that might do this?
This can be done only with FontLab 4.5 (or newer). But... it seems to me that Arial Unicode MS is copyrighted?.. :roll:
uritsukidoji

Post by uritsukidoji »

Sam_T wrote:
uritsukidoji wrote:It can be done the quick and dirty way. Anyone suggestions for tools that might do this?
This can be done only with FontLab 4.5 (or newer). But... it seems to me that Arial Unicode MS is copyrighted?.. :roll:
but I have the right to show it bold right? so I'll just use another program instead of word to show it bold... :twisted:

Thanks!, I'll try FontLab
uritsukidoji

Post by uritsukidoji »

NO! Fontlab can't save a font with more than 6400 glyphs... still need (almost) all 50000 :cry: Another tool?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

A Suggestion

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

May I be so bold as to suggest that you could split the font into ten pieces - embolden each smaller font in Fontographer - then join them back together in Font Creator?

BTW I just tried adding 60,000 empty glyphs to a font in Font Creator. It struggled a bit on my PC, but it didn't crash. I hope I never need this feature.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
uritsukidoji

Re: A Suggestion

Post by uritsukidoji »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:May I be so bold as to suggest that you could split the font into ten pieces - embolden each smaller font in Fontographer - then join them back together in Font Creator?

BTW I just tried adding 60,000 empty glyphs to a font in Font Creator. It struggled a bit on my PC, but it didn't crash. I hope I never need this feature.
I tried splitting it up, but fontographer still crashes when I try to edit them...
No, it worked perfectly in FontLab, opening, editing, it's just the saving... I'll have to wait for Asian Font Studio, they're adding support for this kind of fonts there...

I'll find font creator...

Thanks!