Font size changes on save

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
ethomas8

Font size changes on save

Post by ethomas8 »

Hello,

Please forgive me if this issue has already been discussed, but I was unable to find it by browsing through the archives. I have an Arial based true type font for which I edited a few of the characters (namely the 9 and the 6) using FCP v4.0 (build 4.0.0.134.49) on Windows NT 4.0 SP6. When I save the font in FCP, characters other than those I edited appear to change. They seem to be a little bit larger than the original characters. When I use Microsoft Paint to zoom in on screen shots of the fonts, a noticeable difference between the original fonts and the saved fonts exists. This difference is present in almost every character. As a test, I opened the original font, made no changes, and immediately saved it under a different name. This new font displays the same differences from the original font. Is this behavior correct? And if so, can I disable it?

Again, if this has already been discussed, I offer an apology. Please direct me to that discussion. Thanks.

Josh
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This is probably what you are looking for
viewtopic.php?t=294
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ethomas8

Post by ethomas8 »

Yes, it seems as though I should have read that post a little more in depth. That sounds like the same issue I'm having. Thank you!

Josh
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

Two points arise here:
  • In the Edit window of a hinted glyph the small 'H' in the top left hand corner is hardly noticeable. Could it not be coloured red?
  • If the glyph is edited - say one point is moved - two things happen.
    1. The 'H' is no loger visible and the hinting is removed
    2. The contour changes
The Undo button can be used to recover. The first press restores the contour but a second press is required to restore the 'H' and the hinting.
Joe.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Making the H red would make it even less visible for me and quite a few other colour-blind users. Making it bold or blue might help slightly.

:idea: Perhaps the status line could be enhanced to including more glyph information like problem reports and hinting status.

Removing redundant points or editing the outline does two things, it removes the hinting information and edits the outline, so clicking undo twice is consistent.

Perhaps someone might want to remove just the hinting information, without modifying the outline? However, they are more likely to want to do that for the entire font than for a single character.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Noel Stoutenburg

user-flexibility

Post by Noel Stoutenburg »

Perhaps it would be a worthy goal to move towards having certain characteristics of parts of the interface user definable. Size, style, color,and perhaps even font used in the "h" used to indicate the presence of hinting information would be one of these. For example, there might be times when I might wish to have the h in a neon-green, upper case Fraktur and other times, I would find a discreet, medium gray Garamond or Caslon more to my liking.

ns
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think that making the interface customisable to any great extent would mean a lot more coding time, which would be better spent improving more fundamental features. Erwin does recognise the importance of interface design, and has already made many improvements on the suggestion of users, but more to do with the way the program works than how it looks.

I like customisable programs like Opera and WordPerfect, but I would rather see improvements to image import, and perhaps support for hinting or Open Type features before cosmetic changes. Making the H bigger or bolder would be easy enough, no doubt, but making it customisable is overkill.

I believe that there are plans for a macro language, which would do much more to speed up font editing. I already use a Macro Program, Perfect Keyboard Pro, which greatly increases productivity on adding composites to my fonts. Having this functionality built-in to the program would make it more reliable.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486