Glyph caption not showing when opening .otf font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
opeter

Glyph caption not showing when opening .otf font

Post by opeter »

Hello High-Logic forum members,
I would like to ask someone, how to show the glyph's captions in .otf font in FontCreator 6.1?

Here I have opened Arial.ttf font (captions are showing up - showing Postscript Name):

Here I have opened Myriad.otf font (captions are not showing up):

Here are my options:

What am I doing wrong?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Glyph caption not showing when opening .otf font

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FontCreator cannot show what doesn't exist. Myriad Pro doesn't seem to have any postscript names.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
opeter

Post by opeter »

But, I tryed to open more .otf fonts (not only from Adobe, I have about 17 older fonts from Bitstream and some older - once Type 1 PS - fonts, that were converted to OpenType), but neitherone does show any of the caption names.
I need this function, since I need to create some characters (ccaron, caacute, Ccaron, Caccute, etc.), that I need for my language and only the Adobe fonts from CS3 does have that. Without showing these names, I don't know, where to put them.

1.) Is there a way, I can save (export) OpenType fonts from FontCreator?
2.) What is the disadvantage if I open an PS outline OpenType font and save it as TrueType font? Because the OT tables get lost, that I already know.

Thank you for your help.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Myriad Pro already has these glyphs, C acute, c caron, etc.

If another font doesn't have them, when you insert characters mapped to those code-points, the characters will be shown in blue in the glyph overview so you can see where to put them.
BlueGlyphs.png
BlueGlyphs.png (9.13 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
You can also include postscript names for the Format, Post… dialogue.

If you open a postscript font in FontCreator it is converted to an OpenType font with Truetype outlines.

When saving as an OpenType font with trutype outlines you would lose OpenType features like Small Caps, and Kerning information (you can add your own kerning values with FontCreator)
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
opeter

Post by opeter »

Hello Bhikkhu Pesala, thanks for your response.
Yes, Adobe fonts, that are included in the Adobe Creative Suite CS3 Design Standard, does have these glyphs (I think, I already mentioned this above).
But I have to edit some old fonts, that doesn't have them.

So I need to use this dialog, right?

EDIT: it does really work.

I have one last question: the OpenType font with TrueType outline - will there be any problems in prepress, when they are doing the plates (CTP) or films?
Because until now, I used only PS1 fonts, but sincer I've got problems with them on my new computer and Windows 7 (some PS Type 1 fonts not showing up), I had to ask one of my friends to convert them (I don't know, what he is using).

Anyway, now I have all of my old PS Type1 fonts converted into OpenType PS fonts, some of these have these diacritics, some doesn't.
That's why I would like to make them.