Range check error

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
granam

Range check error

Post by granam »

Greetings all.

I've recently installed the Font Creator program, and am finding it very useful. However, I am having a problem with my font and would appreciate any suggestions.

I'm trying to develop a font which matches the Unicode range of $1D100..$1D1FF for musical symbols. The resulting TrueType font is intended for conversion into an SVG font. The platform I'm using is Unicode 2.0, but the error occurs with any of the platforms. None of the Unicode ranges which can be checked off say anything about the musical symbol range, so I've tried this both with a reserved sub-range and with nothing checked off.

What's happening is that when I try to assign a character index to a glyph, say $1D11E to a G clef, everything is ok in the first dialog window, the one with the title 'Character to Glyph Index Mappings'. I can press the 'Add' button, and the new index appears. However when I push the 'Ok' button to exit from this dialog, up pops an error dialog saying 'Range check error'.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it not possible to assign Unicode indexes in the range of $1D100..$1D1FF? Thanks for any pointers.

Regards,
Brian Grainger
Fort McMurray, AB
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Unicode v 2.0 does not have any mappings 0x10000 and above. The musical symbols code ranges were not added to Unicode until v 3.0. I haven't had an opportunity to use FCP when mapping characters above Unicode 0x10000, so I'm not sure what kind of support we have, but I do know that you need to get Unicode v 3.0+ support before it will be possible.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

If the font is meant to support UCS-4 (surrogate) characters, it will additionally need a Microsoft UCS-4 platform with Segmented coverage encoding format. Use the Platform Manager to add new platforms.

To enable backward compatibility needs, the contents of the Segmented coverage mappings need to be a superset of the contents of the Segment mapping to delta values mappings, so the first 64k codepoint to glyph mappings must be identical.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
granam

Range check error

Post by granam »

vanisaac wrote:Unicode v 2.0 does not have any mappings 0x10000 and above. The musical symbols code ranges were not added to Unicode until v 3.0. I haven't had an opportunity to use FCP when mapping characters above Unicode 0x10000, so I'm not sure what kind of support we have, but I do know that you need to get Unicode v 3.0+ support before it will be possible.
Perhaps what confused me was that one of the platform choices is 'Unicode 2.0 and onwards semantics'. I assumed from this that Unicode 3.1 was included under the 'and onwards' part, but that appears to be not the case.

It's more of an annoyance than a showstopper because I can manually edit the final SVG font definition to show the correct Unicode 3.1 indexes and glyph names. It just would have been nice to put in the indexes at the start of the process, not at the end.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Regards,
Brian.