Glyphs that change when typed with another glyph.

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
AwCrap

Glyphs that change when typed with another glyph.

Post by AwCrap »

So, I've decided to use font Creator to create a new 'glyphs' like language for a thread in another community where there's a small prize for creating the best rated language and such.
It's a totally new 'language'.
new letters, everything's new.
And I have to questions.

1.How do I link a glyph/character to a button in my keyboard? so that when I click for example on the letter "c" it will it'll use a newly made glyph?
2.In this language I'm making, for example when you type "I" then "L" the two letter should combine to create another shape.
like in a cursive writing, where a letter alone is in one shape, and when it's in a word it gains another shape, it's ending merges with another letter, how can I accomplish that?
AwCrap

Re: Glyphs that change when typed with another glyph.

Post by AwCrap »

1st question is no longer important. skip it :D
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. Just start a new font, accept the default "Include outlines" if you want a few numbers and punctuation characters just to get you started, then create your new design in the space reserved for "c" or "C" as you wish.

2. The only practical way to do this is to use OpenType Glyph substitutions, but not many programs support them. Unless you (and others who wish to use your font) have Word 2010, Adobe InDesign, or Serif™ PagePlus X5, you won't be able to type with the font and get the letters to change shape depending on the context. (Notepad does support Standard ligatures if complex text support is enabled in Windows Control Panel, but that is rather limited in what you can do with it).

You need to add Contextual ligature feature, or a Standard ligature feature.

Standard ligatures exist in my free fonts: so that f + i = fi while f + f + i = ffi.

The alternative solution is to use autocorrect to achieve the same result, but its neither elegant, nor practical. Every single word needs an entry in the autocorrect table: e.g. final > final, finally > to finally, difficult > difficult, and difficult > difficulty, etc.

If you do have a supporting application, and want to go down that route, see the tutorial on Adding OpenType Features.

It is beyond the scope of support for FontCreator, so you will be largely on your own. Otherwise, you can use VOLT and get help from the VOLT community.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
AwCrap

Post by AwCrap »

Then it's alot harder than it seems huh? I'll try.. if it does not work, then I'll just have to continue working with the normal types.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Take a look at Rebus Script from Ascender Corporation. Just have a read of the bumpf to see how it works. It might give you some insight into contextual ligatures.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486