bold and italic

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Kurisutaru

bold and italic

Post by Kurisutaru »

Okay I've made a few font's. But I was wondering if there's a way to edit the settings to make a font bold or italic. I don't mean make a whole separate font for them.

I mean how you can [for example] open a font in paint shop pro, or photoshop, and just click the little 'B' or 'I' to make that one font bold and italic without using another version of the font.

Just wondering cause the fonts do change when the bold and italic are selected, but not by much. Any way to change it?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Faux Fonts

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

When a font does not have an italic or bold variant, Windows will cheat. These false fonts can create some problems when making PDF files, and rarely look very good. The only way is to create a proper bold or italic version.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Kurisutaru

Post by Kurisutaru »

That still didn't tell me what I wanted to know. So fare with all of mine they do look good but the change in them isn't much. so can you please tell me how to change the settings for this rather then tell me it's not good? :?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You won't be able to fully control the way Windows imitates a font style for display. Maybe changing the Panose settings could result in using a font substitute; otherwise it will imitate the font.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Kurisutaru wrote:That still didn't tell me what I wanted to know. So fare with all of mine they do look good but the change in them isn't much. so can you please tell me how to change the settings for this rather then tell me it's not good? :?
I already answered your question: "These false fonts ... rarely look very good. The only way is to create a proper bold or italic version."

As you say yourself: "with all of mine they do look good but the change in them isn't much." So they don't look aweful, but they are not much different to the regular fonts. So they don't look good, or at least not good enough, do they?

This is why one needs to create proper bold or italic versions. If there was any algorithm (mathematical rule) that could create high quality bold or italic versions of fonts, nobody would bother with creating a whole new typeface in a font editor. There is no other way. There are no settings you can change. Windows just slants the fonts sideways, or makes the strokes a bit thicker. That is the best that it can do.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Kurisutaru

Post by Kurisutaru »

Look, I have over 800 font's on my comp, only 5 of them even have a bold vershion of them, and only 3 have an italic ver.

Every single one of the font's that have the 'false fonts' as you call them. LOOK 100% FINE. Even when there is a BIT difrence in the normal to bold.

Now will you tell me how to edit the settings so I can make my own fonts bold and such rather then saying "they don't look good" bla bla bla.

If it can't be done or theres no settings then least tell me "theres no way to edit that" then fine. bit if there is I'd like to be told how rather then being told that it don't look good. If it looks good on 99% oif all the fonts I have, plus an older font I made, then by god these ones I just made will look good as well.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Kurisutaru wrote:Now will you tell me how to edit the settings so I can make my own fonts bold and such rather then saying "they don't look good" bla bla bla.
Bhikkhu Pesala is just trying to help.
Kurisutaru wrote:Just wondering cause the fonts do change when the bold and italic are sellected, but not by much. any way to change it?
No, there is no way to change that.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology