Problem with unicode private use area glyphs

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
bobcdy

Problem with unicode private use area glyphs

Post by bobcdy »

I've been working on a font with ligatures and find that all of the ligatures that have an assigned unicode value such as f_f (U+FB00) work fine in an application for reading epub ebooks (Adobe Digital Editions), but those ligatures with unicode values lying in the private use are such as c-t (I assigned as U+E000, do not show or in the most recent version beta of ADE they show as incorrect ligatures (as for example the c_t ligature shows in ADE as a very small AE ligature. It seems there is a bug of some type, perhaps something I've done incorrectly, that confuses the application and causes it to render incorrect glyph ligatures. I've attached the font, and I wondered if anyone could help me with this.
Gara1.ttf
(61.96 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Problem with unicode private use area glyphs

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Try using Calibre instead. If the bug doesn't affect that then perhaps the problem is with Adobe Digital Edition not supporting the PUA area properly.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
bobcdy

Re: Problem with unicode private use area glyphs

Post by bobcdy »

The font works fine in MS Word 2003 and in Open Office; the really odd thing is that this is a new problem. I've had a similar problem with other fonts and found that the private use area glyphs did not work. Then, about two weeks ago, all seemed to work properly. Now, the problem is back. What I've been doing so far is to add the pua glyphs to an existing epub with Sigil and popchar. I've also tried typing the glyphs in MS Windows and copy/paste to my epub, but the same problem occurs with ADE - I entered all the pua glyphs and all of them were replaced with incorrect glyphs, except for one that I had tried assigning the a far-out unicode value U+E601 (still in the pua) and that showed as a box in ADE.

At a forum for ebooks, it was suggested that the problem is a proper lookup table, because the font doesn't correctly connect with the unicode assignments.

I tried running a test text file written with MS Word and using the Gar1.ttf font including the pua glyphs. Same results as with Sigil. The glyphs shows in the beta ADE (which is best for such fonts) as incorrect glyphs - variations on the capital A or AE lig with various overmarkings such as the grave.

This is added two days after my the above paragraphs. For those that might have a similar problem, I found that it was necessary to uninstall my Sigil (the epub editing pgm) and Adobe Digital Editions, reboot, and install newly downloaded files to replace the uninstalled files.