Importing Images- eps files

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
graselgraphics

Importing Images- eps files

Post by graselgraphics »

I've just upgraded to Font Creator 6.5. Right now I am just checking things out, getting a feeling for the program....
I have a "Test" font I am trying out. When I import a letter, it places it very large into the glyph area. No matter what size I've started with, no matter what letter, it places it huge everytime. It will make the lower case the same size as the uppercase. I have to manually shrink them down. I've copy and pasted straight from Illustrator, as well as imported image. *Using the eps file makes the letter very clean, I'd prefer to do it this way rather that with a traced bitmap.* I'm sure some setting somewhere will fix this....

Also, my uppercase letter "B" is giving me trouble.... the bottom opening does not show once in the program. It's a simple vector image---not too many points. See attached image for better description...

I also work in Corel, but to copy paste my image from there, the image doesn't maintain the look of the letter.

Thanks!!
Attachments
Replace screen shot with a smaller version to fit the forum.
Replace screen shot with a smaller version to fit the forum.
Letter trouble.jpg (59.85 KiB) Viewed 8986 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Importing Images- eps files

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The EPS file would be much more useful.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

With your "B", all you have to do is change the direction of the lower counter. You can do this by right clicking, or selecting the counter and hitting the change direction icon on the toolbar (it's a U-shaped blue arrow with a green rectangle in the middle). That's it to fix the B.
graselgraphics

Post by graselgraphics »

That fixed the counter problem!!! Thanks!!

Attached is a pdf file of 3 letters. (It wouldn't let me upload an eps, and it said the .ai file was too large.)
Also attached is a screen shot of that in Font creator.

When I import or copy, paste any of these (individually), they show up at the same size. Lower case is as big as uppercase.
Attachments
Letters.jpg
Letters.jpg (73.97 KiB) Viewed 8975 times
Letters.pdf
(169.67 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I recommend designing the glyphs about 3 to 5 at a time on several landscape pages, and exporting them one page at a time as PDF files.Then drag and drop those PDF files into FontCreator. I had no problem with the separate PDF files coming in at different sizes — they were all the same scale.

Cut and paste may seem more convenient, but I think you will lose the benefits of using postscript outlines. Windows metafiles on the clipboard will be traced as bitmaps IIRC.

Off-topic, but I wonder why your PDF is so much bigger than mine?
Attachments
i.pdf
(1.41 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
e.pdf
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
B.pdf
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
graselgraphics

Post by graselgraphics »

So bizzare--your pdf files pull in just fine.
If I take a single letter, 2 inches tall, make a pdf, and drag and drop, it makes it huge.
If I take that same 2 inch letter and put it with a few others, and do the above, then it will pull in "normal".
I can do it that way, then just copy paste into the correct places.
There might be some setting in Corel that keeps throwing things out of whack.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

graselgraphics wrote:That fixed the counter problem!!! Thanks!!

Attached is a pdf file of 3 letters. (It wouldn't let me upload an eps, and it said the .ai file was too large.)
Also attached is a screen shot of that in Font creator.

When I import or copy, paste any of these (individually), they show up at the same size. Lower case is as big as uppercase.
A simple drag-and-drop of the PDF gives perfect results. I only had to fix the direction of the already mentioned contour.
Bei.png
Bei.png (109.45 KiB) Viewed 8964 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
graselgraphics

Post by graselgraphics »

Well, for whatever reason, I have to pull in a group of letters, I cannot do them individually. If I do, the "e" is as tall as the "B". Not sure why!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Then I suspect they are all the same size inside the source files. Can you send them to us?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
graselgraphics

Post by graselgraphics »

I've drawn the letters in Corel Draw. Begining with the letters at about 1.7" tall, I've exported each letter to a pdf, and all 3 together. You'll find those attached.
I've also copy and pasted them into Illustrator. (pasting straight from Corel doesn't give desired results) This forum will not allow me to attach an eps file.
I didn't change the size at any time.
Please see attached screenshots of both methods.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (38.83 KiB) Viewed 8958 times
All letters.pdf
(3.95 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
e.pdf
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
B.pdf
(3.2 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You can attach EPS files as Zip or 7z.

Try drawing the letters on the same paper size. The PDF files of the separate letters are on different paper sizes:

B= 1.15" x 1.67"
e = 1.02" 1.39"

I have imported them to PagePlus to a 2" x 2" page and exported them as new PDF files. They then come into FontCreator at the correct proportions.
Attachments
Be Test.ttf
(14.74 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
e New.pdf
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
B New.pdf
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 398 times